Internet Explorer Keeps Shutting Down

wherebob

Doesn't seem to matter which version of IE I use, IE 6, 7 and 8 when I first open the browser I can browse a site or two and then shuts down, no error messages just shuts down. 2nd time I open it shuts down right away. I removed IE completely and re-installed it and still did it. Figuring it's a virus I reformatted the hard drive, re-installed windows XP pro SP2 and it still does this? What the heck?

Where could this error or virus be stored where it could survive I full hard drive re-format and a fresh install of XP and still be there?

Any help appreciated.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
How are you reinstalling windows? Do you have a genuine microsoft install cd? Is the cd scratched?

wherebob

How are you reinstalling windows? Do you have a genuine microsoft install cd? Is the cd scratched?
Well IE was doing this before I re-installed windows and that is the reason for the fresh install. Yes it's genuine and no scratches and the install installed perfectly. Everything else works fine just IE shuts down.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you reinstalled windows did you delete the existing partitions and then repartition? You could have corrupted install cd. So everything was working fine one day and all of a sudden IE wouldn't work properly? Then you tried reinstalling windows?

wherebob

Yep deleted all partitions and then repartitioned the drive (the only drive). It's not the cd as it was doing this before I used this cd to do a fresh install which is not the orginal that came with the pc. Someone was throwing away this pc because of this and other issues with it. I wiped and reloaded and everything works great except for IE?

Thanks for the replies so far