IP Address Confusion

mr_question

As far as I understand, a laptop is assigned a different IP address for each different location it connects to (each different wireless network would assign a different IP address to the SAME laptop). A computer DOES NOT have a unique IP address unless it always connects to the same network.

If I connect to an open wireless network, say, at a hotel, is it possible for my download/upload activity to be tracked to my individual computer, or to me? Or can it only be tracked as far as having taken place at the hotel, and no further than that? Similarly, if there are multiple laptops at a single house with one wireless router, is it possible to tell which laptop did the downloading/uploading?

The RIAA typically busts people who download/upload at their own home, thus they might always have the same IP and are easily tracked. But if people do the deed from a wireless hotel internet connection, can they POSSIBLY get caught? If so, HOW do they track you? I'm not talking about plugging in to a cable in your hotel room, I am talking about open wireless networks at hotels, that may or may not require a password.

Please, constructive comments only (and only if you know some answers). I've Googled myself to death trying to find an answer with no luck. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only IP address anybody will be able to see would be your external ip that your modem gets assigned from your internet provider. So, if you have say 10 computer accessing the shared internet and one downloads something, the company won't be able to tell which computer exactly did it, but it will know which household did.

saba.jamalian

IP address is not the only address a computer has in a network.
Your Network interface card (NIC) has a unique address called the MAC address or the Physical address. You can find it by writing " ipconfig /all " in the CMD of windows.
It is the unique address and exclusive to your laptop`s NIC.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
IP address is not the only address a computer has in a network.
Your Network interface card (NIC) has a unique address called the MAC address or the Physical address. You can find it by writing " ipconfig /all " in the CMD of windows.
It is the unique address and exclusive to your laptop`s NIC.

But this has nothing to do with the answer the original poster is looking for

mr_question

saba.jamalian, thanks, it is also my understanding that it is POSSIBLE (although unlikely) for them to track it down to your individual computer.

For example, you download a movie via an airport's wireless network. Some agency contacts the airport saying they demand to check the airport server's records for legal reasons bla bla bla. The airport is then able to show them the history, proving that laptop #XX-XX-XX-XX downloaded the song.

My question is, can this be traced back to me? Could they search for #XX-XX-XX-XX laptop and then trace it back to the user? Too far-fetched? OR... do these agencies ONLY bust people that do all their downloading directly at their home/office?

My only solution would be to buy a used $200 laptop, then use that laptop ONLY at free public internet connection points. And NEVER, I repeat, NEVER use that laptop to connect at your own home or any private location. Transfer files to your home computer via USB. Any thoughts?

I have a question here - so what is being said is that if you log on to the web wireless in NY and the travel to OH,MS,NM and CA that it can track your laptop in all those states?

I thought it could only trace to the source of where the internet went to and that's it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you went to wifi hotspot and downloaded something, to my knowledge there is no way for them to find out who exactly did the download. The authorities will only know that it came from that bulding.

mr_question

Yes, I *think* that's generally true, that they can only track it to the location... UNLESS that location keeps detailed records of their internet usage. Which, I assume is uncommon, but possible. It would definitely make sense to track it at airports, for security reasons. But, does anyone know 100% for certain about this issue? Can I just go to a hotel and download whatever I want and not worry about it? Or can they track it to my laptop?

Yes, I *think* that's generally true, that they can only track it to the location... UNLESS that location keeps detailed records of their internet usage. Which, I assume is uncommon, but possible. It would definitely make sense to track it at airports, for security reasons. But, does anyone know 100% for certain about this issue? Can I just go to a hotel and download whatever I want and not worry about it? Or can they track it to my laptop?

This is the way I'm thinking about it,if you are that paranoid of getting caught,then maybe you shouldn't do it at all.That's my suggestion.

SideBlinded

When you connect to a wireless network you are assigned a private IP address. This can be 3 different options (192.168.0.1 ect.) these IP addresses are not allowed on the internet so the router will use NAT to translate that IP address to its own and forward the data to you.

Wireless access is very difficult to track.

mr_question

SideBlinded, so you're saying that it is extremely unlikely that a hotel/airport could link your activity over their wireless network back to your computer (or you). Good to know. Do you know if they need special hardware/software to record historical internet usage and which computer downloaded what files, or is it something that is easy to do?

stewartlittle, I don't think it's too paranoid to worry about this issue, seeing as it's possible (although unlikely) to get fined over $500,000... anyway, it's at least worth it to fully understand the risk!

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Any information helps.