IP address question

forumquery

hi,

i have a home internet connection, so my isp should be providing me with a dynamic ip address, right? however, i seem to have a static ip address that i cant seem to change. ive tried different ways -- disconnecting the modem oevrnight, reconnecting, iprenew/release, even changing the modem. My isp doesn't seem to provide an explanation as to why i cant change the ip address by resetting. any thoughts?

Concordedly

Are you connected through router? You would have to release/renew from the router status configuration page. In your router settings at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

That's how I do it.

forumquery

im not connected by router. i only have a cable modem. ive tried everything including changing the modem. renew/release. disconnecting. it does not change the ip. it looks like i have a static ip address, and my isp is not providing an explanation why.

jhooga

did you check to see in your network connections, right clickyour LAN that you are connected to go to properties, click tcp/ip v4 then click properties, see if in there it is set to use a static ip or to find ip address automatically

forumquery

yes, i have checked. the settings are "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns server address automatically" . so i really dont see why my isp is giving me a static address. it seems like they've attached a static ip to my account. what are your thoughts?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you so worried about your IP address? Some providers give you a static ip address and others give you a dynamic address.

forumquery

well, im concerned because some sites were blocking my ip address. in any case, my provider -- comcast -- told me that they only give dynamic ip addresses to home accounts, but it looks like ive gotten a static ip address, and they don't have an explanation. how can i determine that it's really my ISP who is not providing me a dynamic address? if so, what can i do? thanks.

linkin

VIP Member
Well first of all try power cycling your router. see fi your IP is different. If not, ring up/email comcast and tell them yuor situation.

forumquery

i tried calling comcast, but they seem to not know why the ip doesn't change. so im wondering what i should do next.

tlarkin

VIP Member
DHCP by design typically requests the same IP it had previously, and depending on your lease time you could be leasing the same IP over and over again.

You should try this:

1) power off your cable modem
2) unhook the cable lines from your modem
3) wait 15 to 20 minutes
4) hook everything back up and power it back on

Then check your IP.

Method9

Maybe you've been given a static IP address and Comcast doesn't know why because they've hired people to answer the phone that aren't knowledgeable enough to realize this.

apj101

VIP Member
DHCP by design typically requests the same IP it had previously, and depending on your lease time you could be leasing the same IP over and over again.

You should try this:

1) power off your cable modem
2) unhook the cable lines from your modem
3) wait 15 to 20 minutes
4) hook everything back up and power it back on

Then check your IP.

Yeah that was my first thought to, but I think he's tried that overnight.

forumquery

Maybe you've been given a static IP address and Comcast doesn't know why because they've hired people to answer the phone that aren't knowledgeable enough to realize this.

Exactly. So how come they gave me a static ip address when they should have given me a dynamic one? What can i do about this?

forumquery

yes, but i was wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience. does comcast give out static ip to home customers?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have comcast, but I haven't noticed. If I have time today, i'll unhook my modem and router for a while and see if my ip changed.

tlarkin

VIP Member
They won't give static IPs out, if anything they are assigning an IP to the MAC address of your modem or using DHCP IDs to assign you the same IP over and over again over DHCP.

Try resetting your modem if there is a reset button.

tyttebøvs

Anyways, behave and you will not get banned.

If you get banned because you are innocent, why even bother going to that site?