Irql_not_less_or_equal

Moocher

(IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) <-This blue screen comes up sometimes on my computer, I have a feeling it has to do with the RAM. It is almost as if it happens every time the RAM is under alot of stress.

I have the Gigabyte EP35 DS3L motherboard, and the RAM is 4 gigs of patriot extreme memory 800 mghz (2.2 volts) DDR2.

I have been trying to check if there are any compatibility issues between these, but so far have been unsuccessful :(

Is it possible that my RAM is bad? How do I test? and how can I tell if it is not just incompatibility that is causing this error?

Moocher

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Because I don't want to have to RMA this RAM for no reason...

New development:
I ran the memory diagnostic tool from Windows and it found hardware issues with my RAM! I tried to restart after the test...and Vista would not boot. So i had to go back into the BIOS to set things back to default.

Is it pretty much certain that the problem is a bad pair of RAM, and should I RMA??? please I need an answer asap.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It is usually a driver issue. There should be a file name listed at the end of the first line that will help you identify the problem.

edit: missed the second post.

If you have errors when running memory tests then replace the RAM and see if it stops. There's not much else you can do, try 1 stick at a time if you want to see if it's just 1 stick or both.

Moocher

Well I just bought the RAM on saturday, so I'll just it return it. Any imput on a good brand of DDR2 RAM that is good quality?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You have Patriot now? It's fine, as are most brands, you just get the occasional bad set. I would just exchange for a new set of the same kind. You should get no hassle that way.

Moocher

New symptom... I did the memory diagnostic on individual RAM sticks and the both passed the test individual, but they fail when I test them together. Do you think my comp. does not like dual-channel ?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Did you do more than 1 pass individually? Also, you should check in more than 1 slot as that can be a problem as well.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Plus make sure they are running at the memorys default timming and voltage. Gigabyte boards like to try to boot memory at 1.8V

BobsYourUncle

Have you considered a possible memory mapping issue?

I had huge issues with RAM BSOD's with a laptop I had a couple years ago.

Long story short, there was a piece of hardware that for whatever reason, attempted to reside in the same area that the RAM was assigned to. This caused the BSOD's

How many memory slots do you have? If you have a couple spares, try shuffling them to a different slot. Another slot will assign the memory to a different address.

On my problem laptop, I was ready to RMA the RAM when I just pulled out one stick and let it run on one. It worked fine after that.

As a test, you could try running it as single channel to see if that makes a difference.

Moocher

I have a feeling my problems might also be caused by driver issues...

When you put together a new system, do the parts come with the latest drivers? or do you have to hunt down which drivers are out of date?

BobsYourUncle

I have a feeling my problems might also be caused by driver issues...

When you put together a new system, do the parts come with the latest drivers? or do you have to hunt down which drivers are out of date?

I always toss the disk and download the latest drivers from the manufacturer.

The single channel suggestion was only meant to try to see if it woould run, not intended as a permanent thing.

Moocher

Lol I just noticed that I did not have SP1 installed on my system. I tried to install it before and I guess I missed that the installation did not go through.

Could this be the cause of all my problems? Well I will find out in these next few days... :)

*smacks head for not catching it earlier* :confused:

Moocher

Oh yeah its most likely a driver issue?

What about an issue with my graphics card? I read is some forums that the 4800 series drivers have a hard time installing on Vista.

Moocher

Update:

I went back to Directron to get my memory tested on another mobo and it passed ! So I know for a fact that this is not the problem.

Should I head back to directron with my motherboard as well to see if it faulty?

Or is it a compatibility issue? Maybe voltage problems? (my system in my signature)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can try 1.9V or even 2.0V (default should be 1.8), I don't know what your Patriot Extreme set is supposed to run at. You can also try different slots.

If you are able to boot into windows, try updating your video driver.