Is a good Laptop?

jorpoveda

Hello, I want to buy the new Lenovo Thinkpad x130e that comes with a Intel Core i3-2367M ULV Processor (1.4GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz DDR3) and 4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM) RAM. But I am afraid that maybe it wont suit my needs.

I am a Computer Science student and I will mainly be using the laptop for programing (C/C++,Java, Perl, PHP, SQL Server, MySQL) and also using some CAD programs for electronics and PCB design.

My question is if this computer has the neccesary processor and RAM to handle all those needs. And if it does not, then what laptop you suggest? I am looking for something small to carry with me, no more than 12 inches.

I thank you for your help.

harry clemance

What is your budget?
One of my friends has the ThinkPad X220 Multitouch Tablet and it is a very good laptop.

Last edited:

jorpoveda

Well, I will like something below the $1000. The rest of the money will take me a lot more to get if the Thinkpad X220 is above $1000. But I would like to know if the X130e has what it needs for all my essential work.

harry clemance

although i have just though, Intels new processor ivy bridge is coming out and this will benefit you as there should be a noticeable difference in the graphics power from the chip. if it turns out there isn't a noticeable difference or it is to expensive i would still wait as the sandy bridge computers will then be cheaper.

jorpoveda

When will this Ivy Bridge will come out? So with the current i3 processor the laptop will be slow for programming. I have checked and found another option. It´s a Samsung, with the same specs as the Lenovo but $20 cheaper.

I just dont know how good is Samsung as a cimnputers brand.

harry clemance

It will be fine for programing but might be a bit slow for cad, it all depends what sort of cad software your using. Ivy bridge will be coming out April but I don't know how long it will take for a laptop with the aspects you want to be released after that.

jorpoveda

Oh and for the sake of $20 go with Lenovo

That can only mean that Samsung is no a good brand for laptops? Well a plus to the the samsung is the HD webcam. I have come to think that Samsung enters in the same bin as Asus and Acer since they make almost all the components for other brands but their own brand is not well received.

wolfeking

banned
asus is an ok manufacturer.

Samsung, while I have no computer experience with them, seems to make good products. This being said, they are consumer laptops, which aren't as well designed as Lenovos are. Basically, the lenovo is built to fill a rough workspace need, while the samsung is designed to fill a sitting on the couch need.

jorpoveda

asus is an ok manufacturer.

Samsung, while I have no computer experience with them, seems to make good products. This being said, they are consumer laptops, which aren't as well designed as Lenovos are. Basically, the lenovo is built to fill a rough workspace need, while the samsung is designed to fill a sitting on the couch need.

That is a fair argument. I guess in that case I will go with the Lenovo. I just hope that the price do not go anymore up. Cause it has already come up to $670, and I was hoping for something below $600.

harry clemance

Thats what I would do, befor you buy it you can try typing into google Lenovo voucher codes and you might be able to make a saving

Last edited:

land of games

hello.
for 20$ go with the lenovo. it will last far longer, is far more durrible (look up thinkpad torture test on youtube.) and has better customer support. thats my 2 cents.