Is a Win XP Home serial good w/ any version of Win Xp Home?

bcomatts

I have a couple of Compaq Presarios at work which need to be tossed and I'm wondering if I can salvage the Win XP Home Edition serial key they each have even though they both use those system recovery custom XP discs and not a standard Win Xp Home Ed. disc.

Are the keys only good w/ those discs or can I use them with any version of Win XP Home Edition?

Thanks!

Geoff

VIP Member
No it doesn't, if you have a serial number for XP Home SP1, it won't work on the SP2 versions. I'm not sure if a Compaq key will work with others or not, but it's a sketchy area to talk about.

brian

VIP Member
really? so if i have a computer w/ xp sp1 and reload w/ xp sp2 it will not work. how low does microsoft go? :D

PC eye

banned
The product keys for the recovery disks for those machines are bonded to one machine only. Prebuild systems come with special ordered disks. To use one copy of Windows on multiple systems you have to buy a small business or corporate license directly from Microsoft. Product keys themselves are limited to one disk alone. Anything else is not for discussion as OMEGA pointed out already. RULE #1 http://www.computerforum.com/52038-forum-rules.html