Is it bad to move 160gb at once?

bcomatts

Is it a bad idea to move 160gb of stuff from one HD to another all at once?

If so, any suggestions on how much I should move at a time?

Thanks.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Eh... I have had some problems in the past when trying to copy many files from one drive to another. Assuming you're making basically a duplicate of a drive, have you looked into software that does this? Typically the drive manufacturer offers such software for free.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I back up 100s of gigs at a time with rysnc via shell scripts all the time, so no its not bad at all. It gets bad in unstable environments, and never ever cut and paste, copy and paste first, then go back and over write data.

Geoff

VIP Member
It's not bad or dangerous to do that, it will just take some time depending on the speed of the drive.

Whats worse is if you move say, 10 different sections of 16GB each, now that will really increase transfer time.

JamesBart

yeah i think 340 gig i moved! it was fine just took ages and also when i was doing it it was from 1 drive to an identical one! dont know if that makes any sort of difference?

:)

leSHok

do what i did and let it run over night so when you wake up it should all be good unless ur scared someting might go wrong.