is it cheaper to build your own

salvage-this

It really depends. If you are getting a high performance pc then it is definitely cheaper. If you are looking for a home pc with nothing special then I have found it cheaper to get an oem system.

I almost always recommend to build one just because you learn a lot more about how to take care of your pc and you can make upgrades later on if you need more power.

spynoodle

It really depends. If you are getting a high performance pc then it is definitely cheaper. If you are looking for a home pc with nothing special then I have found it cheaper to get an oem system.

I almost always recommend to build one just because you learn a lot more about how to take care of your pc and you can make upgrades later on if you need more power.
^Agreed. IMO, it's probably almost always a good idea to build your own PC. I've noticed that buying an OEM PC for <$500 is usually pretty risky. Sometimes you'll get a reliable one, sometimes you won't. If it costs $600 to build your own instead of $500, but you use a hard drive that will actually last, then it's worth it.

Drenlin

For the performance, you can usually get an OEM machine for a bit cheaper unless you need a high end system. However, if you go with a parts built system, you get the following:

1- Much higher build quality (thus longer life)
2- Better features on the motherboard
3- Unlocked BIOS
4- Better overall warranty (though you have one for each individual part)
5- Better upgrade options
6- A good power supply unit (absolutely critical...most OEM's won't give you this)
7- More, but I have a fiancee waiting so I'll leave it to someone else

Last edited:

rawcomputers

you'll definitely find savings if you've got a decent supplier for the parts.
You have to remember though, if you're a novice in terms of building computers, warranty work is done by you! Troubleshooting, removal of a dud part, RMA to manufacturer all has to be done by you, unless you want to pay a pc repair shop to do if for you.

Charr

Depends on how much you're spending, if you want to spend less than $500-$600 than I'd buy a prebuilt one, you'll get more bang for your buck. The problem with prebuilt ones is some of the parts can be shotty and cheap, but for the price you'll get more performance than building your own.

If you're building a gaming PC, its always worth building your own. You can buy the specific parts to suit your games and budget, and the quality of parts will be much higher.