Is It Fried?

shanesmith8

My mobo has a light on it which is green, signaling that its getting power. I turn on the computer and all fans start, cpu cooler far starts which is plugged into the mobo and my video card fan starts. But still my monitor will not come on.

Is my mobo fried, or something up with video card?

PC eye

banned
If that's a new build you would want to check to see if the newer four wire 12v feed that plugs in near the cpu socket is plugged in. Without that most newer boards will fail to start. With the fans starting when you press the power switch the wiring seems correct other then the item to recheck. If you are not hearing any beep codes you can rule out memory, cpu, and video card. The board could likely have a bad chipset if the connections are all correct.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
If you're using more then one ram stick, take them out and leave just the one in there. If it doesn't work, try it in a different slot. If you only have one stick of ram, then try it in another slot.

PC eye

banned
If you're using more then one ram stick, take them out and leave just the one in there. If it doesn't work, try it in a different slot. If you only have one stick of ram, then try it in another slot.

If a series of beep codes was heard then ram or another hardware problem would be the thing to look at. But just one bad dimm out of two wouldn't stop the system before the initial post test began. A bad board will simply play dead and nothing will be seen or heard.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
If a series of beep codes was heard then ram or another hardware problem would be the thing to look at. But just one bad dimm out of two wouldn't stop the system before the initial post test began. A bad board will simply play dead and nothing will be seen or heard.

Of course it would, its happened to me a few times before. If the computer appears to boot, but nothing shows on the monitor, quite alot of the time the ram needs to be moved into a different slot. Trust me on that one.

PC eye

banned
It all depends on the make and model board too. Some will let you get away with it long enough to see if the board is good while everything else creeps. Forget about Windows or anything else there. But you can get a bad board at times where you will wrack your brains out trying to figure out what the problem is and find out the caps on the board are...... "rejects"!!!

Some time back I caught an article that went into "bad caps". You generally would think some people just saw some mishaps. And "then" it happens to.... who??? :confused: YOU!!! :eek: ! The 11/1/06 article is seen at http://www.badcaps.com/

shanesmith8

all my caps are fine. I already knew about that. I will try moving my ram around. Board is PCI E. It does not have onboard. Asus P5LD2 Deluxe is my mobo.

sharkm87

reseat the vid card, maybe your speaker isn't even connected right to hear the beeps, and what happens when using a different monitor.

PC eye

banned
That can'r be ruled out either. A weak supply can give off enough to see fans spin while not having the amps to kick start the system. That's when the heaviest pull on power is usually seen. One way to find out fast enough is to plug in another supply. If it fails to see the system run then a board fault is the next likely thing.

mcyi9ky2

just from my personal experience...if the cpu is failure (just maybe)...the power (mobo and fans, etc) will still on but the monitor will not start

i remember last time i borrowed my friend's cpu and put it on my motherboard and everything works fine.....certainly it may be hard for you to test this cos not sure if you find another cpu to try....

Angel.of.Death

That can'r be ruled out either. A weak supply can give off enough to see fans spin while not having the amps to kick start the system. That's when the heaviest pull on power is usually seen. One way to find out fast enough is to plug in another supply. If it fails to see the system run then a board fault is the next likely thing.

Exactly. The parts of a system which are most prone to defect asre the ones that MOVE (ie HDD) and the PSU (the first thing i check in a defect computer is the PSU). Also, check the cable to your monitor. If you dont get anywhere, then start thinking about the COU, etc.

Chances are its your PSU.

PC eye

banned
The drive and supply aren't the only common problems seen on systems. A bad chipset or bios eprom on a new board is nothing new. With a speaker wired even if you had to buy a separate one to plug in there should have been audio alerts with either a bad cpu, memory, or video card. A defective chipset or bios eprom wouldn't make a sound.

The question remaining on the supply being too weak would be answered quickly be simply plugging in another one or plugging that one in on another case. The green light being seen normal does point at something else however. Along with temp sensors a newer model board also has voltage level sensors that shouldn't turn red to green unless the power level is strong enough to run at least a basic system. Board? or supply? remains to be seen.