Is my OC safe? Screenshots, pics

Thanatos

Hey guys. I recently overclocked my AMD Athlon II X2 250 from 3.0 GHz to 3.7GHz using some guides around the forum. Here's some pictures:

jkx55c.jpg

Been running prime95 for a while, and here's my problem. HWmonitor is giving me two very different temperatures, and I don't know which to believe!

25unts9.jpg

So, computer forum, which is it? #1 or #2?

Oh, and yeah, I OC'd an Athlon II X2 250 to 3.7 GHz. I plan to go to 4 GHz after I get this cleared up. Any advice before I go onwards?

zer0_c00l

looks good to me man...:D i got my 250 too 4.3 stock volts. thing was a beast.now it plays roblox on my daughters pc Lol

wolfeking

banned
probably because you didn't have the voltage high enough for the 4GHz OC. Try bumping it by 2 or 3 of the smallest increments that your BIOS allows. That may help with the BSOD.

Thanatos

Bumped it up to 1.54V at 3.9 GHz, running prime95 at its highest settings... will report back after a while to see how its holding up.

Thanatos

15 minutes later and its still going strong. Going to 4GHz, not changing voltages. Wish me luck, kemosabes. Adios, via con Dios.

salvage-this

I wouldn't take it past that votage. 1.55v AFAIK is the highest voltage that you can take it before there is a real chance that you can damage something.

claptonman

What cooler are you using and what is the ambient temperature of your room? It may be the wrong readings. Same thing happens with my AMD chip. Says it idles at 17c, which is near impossible for a CPU when my room is 70F.

claptonman

Well, since you have a water cooler and your room is 20c, it may be off by a few degrees, nothing to worry about.

Thanatos

I have come back with a conclusion. I ran Prime95 on its highest setting all night, and it is holding stable at:

3.9GHz-20C idle, 31C full load

I think this overclock was successful! I wish I could break that 4GHz barrier, my cooler could handle it, but I'm afraid of raising the voltages too high and frying my chip. I'm best off to wait until I can buy a phenom X4 and overclock that thing wayyyy high.

Shlouski

VIP Member
it might be someting else that is stopping you get higher, tell me all the setting you have changed so far? I can be something stupid sometimes, my gaming rig in sig wont go past 3.3ghz with geil memory, but the identical spec corsair memory gets me 4Ghz stable (3.8ghz because of heat issue). I bet i would get a higher OC on the other 2 geil computers, if they had kingston or corsair, no-way should my e8400 be stuck at 3.8ghz, 4ghz easy on an Asus Stricker ii Formula, but DDR2 so expensive and you buying oid tech, not worth it.

Last edited:

salvage-this

Yeah that will help. What are they rated to run at? It looks like 1333? You could try setting the RAM down a multiplier and see if that gives you more stability. There is a chance that the memory controller is freaking out.

Thanatos

Yeah, Its something like 1333 in BIOS. Ill bring it down a bit and go to 3.95 GHz. See what happens.

EDIT: It's working so far. Gonna go all the way. :p

WOOT!!! Its working!

2vimukz.jpg

Last edited: