Is there a prob with my GPU?

CrayonMuncher

Hi,

ive got a gtx 970 latest drivers etc running from a antec tpnew 650 watt (more than enough amps on 12v rail) but im having a slight issue, every now and then, under now specific set of circumstances the display with go black or have lines through like interference, but NOT like artefacts, it's almost as though power is lost for a millisecond and then returns, same with interference. During these periods I have also noticed feedback/static through my speakers connected via optical,

This does not generate any errors in event viewer and can happen when under stress or when idle, most commonly when idle. I have benched the gtx 970 and used under gaming loads for hours at a time with no issue, not even what I mentioned above, I have tried diff out puts and on another screen, it didnt seem to do it on the other screen but I dont use that screen as often, and the issue is very intermittent.

Only thing worth noting is that I replaced the fan on the psu and I dont remember it doing it before hand and this seems more of an intermittent power issue than gpu, as the most common times it happens are when there is a power spike in the house, eg kettle on, my mum said the lights dipped when it happened a few times when she was here.

what do you guys think? psu, gpu or monitor? I tried to include as much info as poss here, anything else just ask. (I tried diff wall sockets/adapters btw)

Thanks

StrangleHold

Staff member
Seems to me if your having power spikes or drops in the house and its doing it at the same time? If the computer was doing it, it would only happen on the plugs on the same breaker.

CrayonMuncher

yeah it does often seem that it is related to the house's power flow, i live in a big house with loads of flats and when the power dips it seems to do the same for the pc.
I should state that on my r9 290 i did not have this problem at all and the gpu was fine afaik before I opened the psu up to replace the fan (which is now connected to a fan header on the motherboard) and I have been in the same house with all of this. So i thinking the house's electricity supply has always being slightly dodgey but I messed something up in the psu which was allowing it to mask the electricity supply issue.