Is There big difference between 4gb ram and 8gb ram?

spirit

Staff member
Well if you use XP (unless it's Pro x64 Edition), 8GB will be useless to you because it is a 32-bit OS and thus will not detect more than about 3.5GB.

XP Pro x64 Edition is 64-bit and detects up to 128GB, but you likely only have a 32-bit XP which only detects up to 3.5GB.

newone

Well if you use XP (unless it's Pro x64 Edition), 8GB will be useless to you because it is a 32-bit OS and thus will not detect more than about 3.5GB.

XP Pro x64 Edition is 64-bit and detects up to 128GB, but you likely only have a 32-bit XP which only detects up to 3.5GB.

What if i change windows i just wonder if extra 4GB is gonna make big difference

newcomputer20

If you're looking to peak your performance it really depends more on your CPU and GPU. If you tell us what other hardware you've got we can tell you how much difference it will make.

konsole

alt+tab out of your most intensive game and go the the task manager with ctrl+alt+del, then to the Performance tab to see how much ram is being used.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Is There big difference between 4gb ram and 8gb ram?
Im a gamer and i use Windows XP

Like said XP 32 bit can only see up to 4gb. Then it will subtract some for hardware memory adresses. You will end up with less then 4gb. available to the OS. 8Gb would be useless.

What if i change windows i just wonder if extra 4GB is gonna make big difference

It all depends. With what ever programs you run. If your eating up more then 4gb and hitting virtual memory (slow) alot, then yes it will make a difference. If not, then no.

spirit

Staff member

Depends what you do with your PC. Gaming wise, 8GB could be nice, but it probably isn't a necessity. I tend to recommend people get 8GB of RAM now anyway, just because it is so cheap.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I noticed a difference going from 4-8,Although i already had Windows 7 X64 bit.

Like mentioned it depends on what you do with your system,I game and use alot of Virtual Machines so a good chunk of my 8GB does get used.

BF3 & GTA IV seemed to run smoother with 8GB of ram.