is this a good graphics card? over kill i know, i know...

ADE

banned
well, see, thing is, i cant max out games...sadly...i get low FPS now due to my huge monitored and its resolution. I cant have more than 1 card so i need the best card out there since i cant have the power of 2.

XxSNIPERxX

banned
well the best out there is the ultra.. you could wait a while for somthing new but i dont know how long that will be:)

besides u have an 8800GTS?? thats an awesome card.. maybe buy a smaller monitor for the time being and wait for somthing new:)

tlarkin

VIP Member
well, see, thing is, i cant max out games...sadly...i get low FPS now due to my huge monitored and its resolution. I cant have more than 1 card so i need the best card out there since i cant have the power of 2.

I really don't see how this is possible....

A standard DVI cable has 167Mhz (thats millions) of bandwidth. So lets say you are running at 1900 x 1200 @ 80hz, you would be using approximately 182Mhz of bandwith, so you would need to use a better DVI cable. Dual link bandwidth cables can run up to 3 channels per RGB, each channel at 167MHz. So perhaps your cable is the problem.

What resolution do you run at?

1280 x 1024 @ 75 hz only needs about 98Mhz of bandwidth which a standard single link DVI cable can easily handle.

The other problem could be a monitor that can not handle it or it has a bad response time or a really bad contrast ratio.

Archangel

VIP Member
wait a sec.. I dont get this.. you measure bandwith in MHz,.. but how exacly do you fit the pixels in there? (not saying you're wrong ofc, jsut havnt seen it before)

tlarkin

VIP Member
you can measure bandwidth as the amount of signal (in audio/visual terms) a cable can handle. Where as in computer networking, its how much data it can stream. Its all data because its all digital.

Your PCI bus has a bandwidth, your front side bus is bandwidth. Those are measured in Mhz.

ADE

banned
using VGA adapter. my new monitor didn't come with DVI and i been told DVI doest really make it better.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
using VGA adapter. my new monitor didn't come with DVI and i been told DVI doest really make it better.

The difference between DVI and VGA is small, many people cannot even see the difference.

I myself wouldn't get an Ultra, just buy a GTX and OC it yourself. But if i'm not mistaken the Ultra does have one or two core advantages over the GTX, such as a higher pixel fill rate and total bandwidth.. Still not worth it IMO

Geoff

VIP Member
If you are using a large monitor with a really high resolution and/or high refresh rate, you will need DVI or else it will bog down.

I'm not sure if you already told us, but what resolution are you using for gaming?

[-0MEGA-];705726 said:
If you are using a large monitor with a really high resolution and/or high refresh rate, you will need DVI or else it will bog down.

I'm not sure if you already told us, but what resolution are you using for gaming?

I noticed a small difference when I switched from VGA to DVI, I have a 19" and a crappy X1300PRO.

ADE

banned
1680x1050 and the one i listed is the highest OC out of all of them and cost the least. good deal to me...

Geoff

VIP Member
1680x1050 and the one i listed is the highest OC out of all of them and cost the least. good deal to me...
I wouldnt consider that a super his res. I dont see why your 8800GTS and C2D cant play games on high settings though..

[-0MEGA-];705835 said:
I'm curious, what games do you say you can play "maxed out"? Because Quake 4 isnt all that demanding in terms of the newer games that are out there.

I thought that, too. Check drivers

Geoff

VIP Member
Also, before spending $620+ on a new video card, I would overclock your video card as it may allow you to turn up the settings a bit higher on some games. You should be able to hit a core clock of 660Mhz pretty easily.

ADE

banned
i OC mt card as far as it can go, the Hi res. I know it is. ever since that the games ran fine.

Geoff

VIP Member
i OC mt card as far as it can go, the Hi res. I know it is. ever since that the games ran fine.
How high were you able to overclock it? My previous 8800GTS was able to reach 660/1980.

Ask yourself this. Is it worth spending an additional $600+ so I can turn up the settings a bit more then I can now? IMO I would at least wait until the 8900 series comes out before you think about upgrading your video card.