Is this a good set-up?

Vladik

Hey guys, im new here, im planing to build a new comp. This will be my first build.

CPU: AMD FX Quad-Core 4100 (3.6GHz, AM3+)
M/B: ASUS M5A87
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 (PC-10666, CL9)
HDD: (1) Western Digital Velociraptor (80GB), (1) Western Digital
Caviar Black (500GB)
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 (500-watt)
Case: Raidmax Atlas .or. Raidmax Thunder

TekMaster

Just for future upgrading purposes I would go with a better PSU than a 500W. You might want to go CrossFireX in the future and need more power support, just my opinion

jonnyp11

double posts aren't smiled upon, since this is basically half of your other thread that was asking about 2 builds.

it really sort of sucks like i said in the other, here's why

FX cpus suck, at best they are equal to the last gen of cpus, at worst, they will BSOD games or just through what could be good performance with a phenom x4 to the crapper

motherboard isn't bad but i'd go for the newest chipsets, the 900 series

you can get a 1tb seagate for about how much a caviar black costs and not loose too much in performance, but for how much a velociraptor costs you could get a 60gb ssd which will be far faster, multiple times faster.

thermaltake is not a power supply brand, at least they shouldn't be, idk about all of them, but in general, you don't want to buy from them, out of like 100 brands there are only about 10 psu brands you want to buy from, only like 8 are actually good

for the cases, the first isn't bad for a sub-50 buck range, but there are some better, although not sure if you factor in the rebate.

Darren

Staff member
I'd suggest an AMD Phenom II 955 and a CPU cooler if you're gaming. That way you can overclock if you ever feel the need.

+1 to getting a 900 series board. I'd advise not getting the MSI 970A-G45 though. I ran into some issues with mine. It works fine now, but caused some headache.

For a video card I would suggest a 6850. Don't get me wrong, the 5770 is a great card (I have it and love it) but if you have the extra little bit of money then get the 6850.

Recommended PSU brands are Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, PC Power and Cooling, Seasonic, and a few others that I'm not positive of.

Also get an SSD and a WD Blue or Seagate Barrucuda. The WD Blacks don't offer very much performance gains. Maybe half a seconds for loading levels and what not.

Also look for RAM that is 1600. Something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Last edited:

jonnyp11

you forgot xfx, and for the money sometimes an ocz can pass but they aren't the best, they don't offer as much power as the others normally comparing a 500 to a 500, also cooler master silent pros are supposed to be good, but they are a hit or miss company, some series are good, others aren't

TekMaster

double posts aren't smiled upon, since this is basically half of your other thread that was asking about 2 builds.

FX cpus suck, at best they are equal to the last gen of cpus, at worst, they will BSOD games or just through what could be good performance with a phenom x4 to the crapper

you can get a 1tb seagate for about how much a caviar black costs and not loose too much in performance, but for how much a velociraptor costs you could get a 60gb ssd which will be far faster, multiple times faster.

thermaltake is not a power supply brand, at least they shouldn't be, idk about all of them, but in general, you don't want to buy from them, out of like 100 brands there are only about 10 psu brands you want to buy from, only like 8 are actually good

for the cases, the first isn't bad for a sub-50 buck range, but there are some better, although not sure if you factor in the rebate.

FX chips are beats at overclocking idc what anybody says here haha
you get your current chip past 6.3GHz stably then we'll talk
I dont care if they suck but they'll pull a higher clock rate than your chip guaranteed
Not my everyday chip and I in no way support the architecture but I'm sick of people saying they suck when they don't even understand the bulldozer architecture...and if they did then they would know why they truly suck but there's few people here that know that...

Last edited:

jonnyp11

did you mean 3.6ghz? and idk what you're talking about, can't overclock my ships at all, oem mobo = shit for anything

and i know they beast at overclocking, but they still suck at performance, and just saying, i'd bench your 4100 overclocked, then swap it for that 980 keeping everything else the same, and overclock and bench it, and tell me what they each can get and scores. but even overclocked like crap, they will always suck for anything single threaded, you can't deny they just suck at that.

TekMaster

HAHA i rarely use my 4100, its just for OCing fun
I've seen one close to 7, not even 6. depends on liquid nitrogen cooling.
Ive seen your computer in pictures, ill leave it at that

- go ahead and delete my account here mods/admin. this is absolutely ridicules, what i expect from a public site... bye...cheers...Ill bo back to my sharky forums and hard forums...noobs...

Last edited:

jonnyp11

you're calling me a noob because i look at the benches and see the terrible performance in comparison to other cpus and it sucks, and overclocking doesn't make up for it when the other is overclocked as well? even if it isn't overclocked as far, the 4100 is too far behind to make up for it without being at 4ghz vs 3.3 or so ghz, then they'd be about equal

TekMaster

the 4100 is shit 100% just a point im trying to make. don't comment unless you understand the architecture.
even though it's completely shit I guarantee I know people 4100/8120 that will blow anything you have out of the water.
I just cant handle ignorance and I will not be back

Last edited:

jonnyp11

actually if by i have you meani/my family/household has, then my dad has a 27" imac with a i7-860 in the other room, not sure if it beats an 8120, but if it doesn't it comes damn close.

still not sure why you're so pissed, i said that FX cpus wher crap then you start ranting and all that they are great overclockers just to say "the 4100 is shit 100%" and you were just making a point that they overclocked like hell. i was trying to make a point that overclocking it will still give you a crappy cpu, so what does it matter that it overclocks so well?

jonnyp11

that's 110 right now, and i meant crap in comparison to a 960t, which it still isn't too far behind, but due to the fact it took them so long and then they hyped it up so much, i see it as a crap fail on amd's part. then again considering the fact that it isn't even 4 cores it does hold its ground to the 960t very well, other than single threaded apps which there are very few of, and still it's not like as bad as my pentium or anything.

Vladik

O sorry about that. umm do you think you could tell me what a good setup would be? I dont need anything powerful, just a medium comp to do a little bit of gaming and mostly movie watching

Vladik

What about this setup?

MOBO: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S600 600W
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: Corsair Nova Series 2 CSSD-V60GB2 2.5" 60GB SATA II*and
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1450-TR GeForce GTS 450
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion

jonnyp11

these are faster drives, this ssd is almost 2x as fast and reviewed way better

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227728

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

more power, same price, more reviews too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

good bit faster for a few bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435

all-around better case and has cable management for 10 more, not necessary but it's a lot better case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf 912

the mobo and cpu you chose are perfectly fine, but really you could drop down to a phenom II 960t and a 120 buck or less motherboard and spend that extra money on a better graphics card.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The FX-4100 is sorta in a odd ball place. I look at it like a replacement for the non APU Athlon II, not the Phenom II. If you want a Phenom II x4 or X6, I would get the FX-6100. It will overclock better then either to make up for its clock deficiencies plus some.

Vladik

these are faster drives, this ssd is almost 2x as fast and reviewed way better

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227728

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

more power, same price, more reviews too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

good bit faster for a few bucks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121435

all-around better case and has cable management for 10 more, not necessary but it's a lot better case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf 912

the mobo and cpu you chose are perfectly fine, but really you could drop down to a phenom II 960t and a 120 buck or less motherboard and spend that extra money on a better graphics card.

what about this motherboard?

ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773

Mishkin

I wouldn't buy an FX cpu right now either. Even assuming the FX fix was out and there were no more BSODs in games, they would still be overpriced for the performance with current prices. A couple extra points:

1. Bulldozer was a giant fail, all things considered. Probably the biggest screw-up in the history of processors, at least to my knowledge. A big part of this was the anticipation, length of development, and hype. Pretty much the exact opposite of any of Blizzard's monster releases that were pushed back and pushed back...and actually succeeded massively.

2. Even though Bulldozer was a screw-up, they aren't horrible processors, BSODs aside. They just aren't worth their current price. If you're gaming, it helps that games are incredibly gpu-bound and any relatively modern cpu will easily work fine. That said, IMO the only AMD cpus worth going for now would be the Athlon 2 and Phenom 2 lines, for certain budgets. Too bad AMD discontinued them, besides the 960T. If you're willing to fork over the cash for a "higher-end" FX, there's no reason to not go Intel in the first place, and lower-end FX is complete crap, as well as crap for the price, with better options in Intel and AMD. Hell, I'd rather have one of the APUs or an Athlon 2 than the 4100. And that's for a gaming processor, even with the lack of L3 cache.