Is this a monitor problem?

JohnJSal

Hi all. My parents' computer suddenly turned on the other day with a problem: the monitor doesn't show anything! Once the computer comes on, the screen still "lights up" as if the monitor is on,* but it only shows a black screen, occasionally flashing "Analog" in the upper left corner. It always did this when coming on, but then it would immediately show Windows booting up and all the normal stuff.

I can still hear Windows booting up, so I assume it's a monitor issue. I unplugged and replugged the power cables and the monitor cables, to no effect.

Anyone know what this could be, and if there's anything I can do to get the monitor back on?

Thanks!
John

* Sort of like how a TV screen looks when it's on, but the cable box has been turned off. Blank, but still backlit.

JohnJSal

The monitor didnt get set to VGA by accident and its hooked up to the HDMI or DVI ?

Heh, well I asked a few times if they did ANYTHING different to the computer, but they say no. :)

The cables is either VGA or DVI, not sure which one. It's got blue connectors, but I don't know if the color necessarily matters. I didn't actually look at the physical pins inside.

How would something like that happen? Is there anything I can do to switch it back without being able to see the screen?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Most monitors have a button for settings. You can manually set it for the input. Most are set to auto by default.

JohnJSal

Most monitors have a button for settings. You can manually set it for the input. Most are set to auto by default.

Ah yes, I tried all those buttons on the front of the monitor, but nothing happened. I don't know if maybe I couldn't see the menus because the monitor isn't working, or should the menus appear anyway?

Russ88765

Check your case, your video card might be loose or a cable might be out of place. It's happened to me a bunch of times, and it's a relatively quick fix. Make sure it's firmly in the slot as well as the monitor cables. Sometimes it can shake loose if you move the desktop around a bit or your leg hits it on accident.

JohnJSal

Well, my dad was busy today getting the monitor checked at a couple of places and he came home with a new one. It works, so it must have been the monitor.