Is this laptop better than my current PC ??

andy15star

I'm thinking of buying a laptop (and also keep my current PC).

I'm looking at this laptop for £299:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ.../2|14418968|Laptops+and+netbooks|14419039.htm

Specs for this laptop are:
CPU and Memory:
•AMD Athlon II X2 dual core P320.
•2.1GHz processor speed.
•2GB DDR3 RAM memory.
•250GB SATA hard drive.

Display features:

•15.6in display.
•Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.
DVD optical drives:

•Blu-ray.

Graphics:

•ATI Radeon HD with 4200 graphics card.
Interfaces and connectivity:

•4-in-1 media card reader.
•3 USB ports.
•1 HDMI port.
•B/g/n wireless/WiFi enabled.
Multi-media features:

•1.3MP built-in.
Operating system and software:

•Microsoft Windows 7 Premium.

My current PC is around 4 years old, and it's specs are:
Advent T9317
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz)
Motherboard MS 7255
Memory 1.5GB DDR2 PC2-4200
Hard Drive 250GB SATA
CD Drive Dual layer DVD±RW
Video Card nVIDIA GeForce 7300SE PCI-E 64MB (up to 512MB with Turbocache)

Will this laptop be more or less on par with my older PC, or will it be much faster ?

I don't really do any intensive gaming, just Flight Sim 2004 (which copes well on my old PC anyway).

I'd like to be able to do HD Video editing (not too intensive), my old PC can't really cope fast enough with HD Video editing, although it plays HD Video fine through TheKMPlayer.

Will this laptop be suitable for HD Video editing, watching BlueRay DVD (with HDMI out), basic photo editing etc ??.... Is 2GB of RAM okay with the Dual Core Athlon, or should i get something with a bit more RAM / more powerful processor ??. I presumably could add RAM later couldn't i ? - rough idea of price/how easy it is to fit extra RAM ?

Any comments kindly welcome !!

(OH!, and it says "OPTICAL DRIVE: BLUERAY" - Does this mean i will still be able to burn CD's and DVD's ????)

Andy

Last edited:

daisymtc

The CPU is at smililar as your existing. However, it don't have discrete video card, which is not good for HD editing.

It is a good buy for £299, but may not suit your use.

OverClocker

agree with daisy. however, getting a laptop will allow you internet or pc access everywhere. when you are at home, should you wish a bigger screen, you can always hook it up with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse. it is like having a pc.

andy15star

Is the graphics card really that bad for HD content ???..... from the AMD website it states:
"The ATI Radeon™ HD 4200 Graphics with the AMD 785G Chipset enables an exceptionally power-efficient platform at an incredible value. Bringing features and performance that enrich what you see and do, including next generation gaming and a superior HD video experience3, the ATI Radeon™ HD 4200 Graphics with AMD 785G Chipset transforms your mainstream PC into a digital media powerhouse"

And will that laptop be able to burn to DVD/CD, as it says it's only a "Blueray" drive.

Hmm, what would you guys suggest be the minimum level of specs for editing HD content ?? (RAM and Processor-wise)

Best Regards,
Andy :)

Last edited:

Haydos_69

In my opinion, i prefer laptops over pc's any day... but thats just cause i travel alot. For £299 its worth it, but if i was u id try to find something with a DVD instead of blu-ray (or even both). But yea like daisy sed... its a good buy for £299.

andy15star

Thanks for the info!

So am i wrong in thinking that this laptop will burn CDs or DVDs ??

I thought "BlueRay" was just a DVD/CD Burner that could also play BlueRay content ?

Best Regards,
Andy