Is this normal? Laptop runs VERY slow on battery ...

paulspencer

My girlfriend has just bought a new Acer laptop (Aspire 3680). It works fine normally, but when on battery power, it is incredibly slow. Simple things like launching an application takes a crazy amount of time like 10 minutes. The obvious answer appears that it's faulty and should be returned, but I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any insight on the problem. Thanks guys.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I do know some laptops underclock when on battery. I know i have mine set to go to 800MHz. Why don't you get CPUz(easy find on google) and post what type of processor she has and what speed it's running at both on and off A/C.

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
yeah thats definately normal behaviour for the 3680 machines, in fact only the older acer units dont slow down when you switch over to battery; you can adjust the speed of the unit by changing the power profiles in the acer epower management software.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Yup its definitely downclocking. get your Mhz when on AC, using pc wizard, then unplug and get speed. post that and we can help

evo3

For Acer notebook you can go to Acer ePower mgmt, than go to the bottom and you will see the Power Plan, click on the icon than you will see this

1) Balanced - this will will you a even balance for your battery life and notebook performance
2) Power saver - this battery life will be longer and performance will be slow
3) High Performance - this battery life long and performance will be good.

Check this out and see will this help you, maybe the notebook had set to the Power Saver option.