Is this worth the price?

Fel221

Hi guys, im new in here and mostly because I'm kinda worried, actually ive been looking for a gaming computer, mine is pretty much out of date -_- and im looking forward for a new one, i was wondering if i would get much for my buck by buying for example the Acer Aspire g7700 predator, or an alienware customized comp.... so i still havent figured out, plus ive been to a computer shop close to where I live and the guy made a list of what he said would be a very good computer for gaming, here is the spec

- Intel system Performance
-2 year warranty
-thermaltake m9 mid tower case
-ASUS SKT 1156, P7P55D CHIPSET INTEL P55
-CPU INTELCORE I7 2.8G 8M
-KINGSTON 1333 NON ECC 4GB KIT memory
-hard drive SEAGATE 1TB 7200RPM 32MO
- video card BFG GTX 295 OC 1GB
-windows vista PREMIUM OEM 32BIT
-POWER SUPPLY THERMAL TAKE TOUGH POWER 1000W
- integrated sound card
- DVD-R/RW LG double black 22X SATA

for 1999.99 , now i was wondering if i'd be better with this for 2k or the previous 2 above ...

Thanks alot !

Felix

kearneyTaaffe

Hi guys, im new in here and mostly because I'm kinda worried, actually ive been looking for a gaming computer, mine is pretty much out of date -_- and im looking forward for a new one, i was wondering if i would get much for my buck by buying for example the Acer Aspire g7700 predator, or an alienware customized comp.... so i still havent figured out, plus ive been to a computer shop close to where I live and the guy made a list of what he said would be a very good computer for gaming, here is the spec

- Intel system Performance
-2 year warranty
-thermaltake m9 mid tower case
-ASUS SKT 1156, P7P55D CHIPSET INTEL P55
-CPU INTELCORE I7 2.8G 8M
-KINGSTON 1333 NON ECC 4GB KIT memory
-hard drive SEAGATE 1TB 7200RPM 32MO
- video card BFG GTX 295 OC 1GB
-windows vista PREMIUM OEM 32BIT
-POWER SUPPLY THERMAL TAKE TOUGH POWER 1000W
- integrated sound card
- DVD-R/RW LG double black 22X SATA

for 1999.99 , now i was wondering if i'd be better with this for 2k or the previous 2 above ...

Thanks alot !

Felix

In looking real quick. make sure you get a 64bit OS. It will be able to take advantage of all the ram you have.

I'm not all that up to the difference btwn the core 2 quad extreme and the i7, but I'm pretty sure the i7 is much faster, At least, that is what a majority of people on newegg think of the core 2 quad extreme.

Now, here's the hard part. The Acer comes with 8GB of RAM whereas the local computer shop is only giving you 4GB. I don't know if in this case more RAM is better or not. It all depends on what you'll be doing with it. Generally speaking, more RAM is better, but with the 32Bit OS, you won't even be using the 4GB of RAM (i think your computer can only use 3.8 GB)

honestly, I'd get the local computer shop's computer, and upgrade to a 64 bit OS (either XP or Vista)

The GTX 295 is superior to the 9800 GTX (found that on another thread here)

oregon

Definitely a powerful computer, but I bet you could cut at least $500 just by building, probably even $800.

Bodaggit23

I bet you could cut at least $500 just by building, probably even $800.

Not if you use the same components.

That's a $294.99 processor, $249.99 motherboard, $500-800 video card (depending on the exact
model number), a $334.99 power supply etc.

That's almost $1400 right there.

You could use some lower spec components and save that much, definitely.

Last edited:

bomberboysk

Especially the psu, a cm ucp 1100w, 1000hx, or zm1000-hp would easily power a rig like that, could save money other places aswell and end up with a better system however.

daisymtc

Money not well spend with that list...

My suggestion:

Core i7 860 $300
Heatsink $60
Asus/ Gigabyte Mid-range P55 mobo $170
4 GB DDR3 RAM $80
1 TB HDD $90
DVD burner $30
Wait for 5870 $300- 400??
750W PSU $120
Case $120
64bit OS $110

This $1500 machine should run as good as the suggested list from your local store

Last edited:

konsole

You might not be able to save $500 by building it yourself like the other poster suggested, but you should be able to downgrade slightly and save atleast $500 while still having a plenty powerful system. $2000 just seems a bit excessive for gaming anyway.

Fel221

alright, bcause i was hoping it could last for a pretty long time, so it would be kinda useless to buy the one at 2k ? i'd get pretty much the same with this one at 1k ? would it last pretty much as long ?

Bodaggit23

alright, bcause i was hoping it could last for a pretty long time, so it would be kinda useless to buy the one at 2k ? i'd get pretty much the same with this one at 1k ? would it last pretty much as long ?

The build I posted is a lower spec machine, but that $2k build is way overkill.

The build I posted could use a better graphics card, that's about it.

It will last as long as the weakest component. Not sure what you mean.

This technology (Core i5/i7) is brand new and the best on the market right now, and will not be obsolete for quite some time.

Fel221

alright, and btw, is 4gb of ram enough for a long time, or should i look for 6gb ? i know acer has something like 8 ? ... just wonderin