Is VPN really secure for public wifi coffee shops? What is the most secure way?

starblazer4

I would like to start focusing my work at the coffee shop now since I can't focus much at home anymore. I don't know much about security and have never used a public wifi before after hearing many stories about it being completely insecure. The work I'm doing is very important and I cannot have any problems with weak security. Is VPN as secure as a home network?

After digging from google, all I have to do is subscribe to a VPN provider, connect to the public wifi, then connect to the VPN server? Is that it?

I also found out that 4G mobile connection isn't too secure as well so I'm unsure what approach I should go.

Which would be more secure?

1. Connect to VPN through public free wifi
or
2. Connect to VPN through 4G mobile internet usb stick
or
3. Or use no internet at all? My work does not require much internet connection, however it would help a lot if i did have the connection.

However, I do have a really dumb question. If I don't connect to any networks on my laptop at a free public wifi there is no way someone can hack into my laptop right? Nobody can somehow hijack and go into my laptop if i'm within the free wifi radius?

Also what are all the security softwares I need? I have malwarebytes premium active shield and avast free but thinking of upgrading to the premium

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
A VPN would encrypt your data, so it would be fine to use on public wifi.

Homenet

VPN through 4G is your best bet.

VPN through public wifi is also pretty secure, however, theoretically, an attacker could easily do an ARP poisoning attack to mask themselves as the default gateway. However, in reality, for them to then intercept your VPN connection and key exchanges (before the VPN connection is established) is very difficult.

Geoff

VIP Member
It also depends who is providing your VPN, you want to be sure it's a reputable company as you are routing your data through their VPN server. If you are tech savvy, you could purchase a router for your home that has built-in VPN server functionality, and then VPN from the coffee shop or over mobile broadband back to your house, and then out. As long as you are using encryption and not plain-key passwords it would be very secure.

4G would be more secure than public WiFi, but with a VPN both would be secure.

Geoff

VIP Member
From reading your second post on OCN, I have this to add.

A VPN only protects you from internet-related services, such as web browsing. Even if you connect to a VPN immediately after connecting to a public hotspot, "hackers" would still be able to attempt to hack into your computer, that's why you need strong passwords, and don't allow services that you don't need. If you're running Windows Vista or later, make sure you turn off file sharing and network discovery on public networks, turn off any SSH/FTP/TFTP/Web/etc. services if you installed any yourself.

If all you're concerned about is protection while surfing the web and checking e-mail, a VPN is what you're looking for.