Issues after installing OS to new SSD

WeApOn

Got my new SSD in, and reinstalled my OS (Win7 64) to it. As instructed by most online guides, I unplugged my primary OS drive as well as my secondary data drive that were in my SATA ports 1 & 2 prior to installing the OS.

OS installed fine, however: Once I plugged my SATA 1 & SATA 2 drives back in, I can not boot to either installed OS.

For my primary, original OS installed on my spinning drive, it hangs at

"Loading Operating System..."

For my new SSD, it gets right up to the point where I would see the "Welcome" screen, but it stays black. (There is a chance this is a video driver issue however)

I unplugged my SSD, and was able to boot back into my original OS with no issues. However, I would like to be able to dual-boot these two OS's, until I am ready to remove my OS from the primary drive I am using as I type this.

I am quite certain this has something to do with the MBR not knowing of the other two drives, or the SSD. Or perhaps the system doesn't understand which OS it is actually booting.

I am guessing that I need to add something to my MBR or do a /fixboot command to tell my SSD and my primary HD that there is another drive now. Am I correct?

I just want to get some more opinions before I try a /fixboot or anything similar.

I very much appreciate any help that someone can provide.

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to do a dual boot then you need to reattach the drive with the existing OS on it and then boot to the windows 7 install dvd and then install windows to the drive you want it on. The install will then place boot files on the original install so you will get a dual boot menu at startup.

WeApOn

If you want to do a dual boot then you need to reattach the drive with the existing OS on it and then boot to the windows 7 install dvd and then install windows to the drive you want it on. The install will then place boot files on the original install so you will get a dual boot menu at startup.

Is there a way to just select my boot device at startup instead of having the dual boot menu? What is causing the hang when I do it this way? Is there a way to fix the MBR?

Really, I will only be dual-booting for a little while. I just want to migrate my settings from the original OS to the new OS and then I will delete the Windows files from the old drive.

Is my only option to reinstall the way you said?

Thanks!

WeApOn

Also, if I go with the dual-boot, what is the best way to go back to single boot from the SSD once I have migrated all my Windows settings to the SSD?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The easiest way to do this is just like what you did. Remove the original drive from the system and install windows on ssd. Then reattach original drive then use the bios to change first boot device to whatever drive you want to boot to.