its official, 3gb ram is not enough for vista/7

UpskirtHayley

its official, 3gb ram is just not enough for vista/windows 7. weather it be 32bit or 64bit.

I was using Corel Video Studio X2 on vista and after 30min it will say efficient memory. I install windows 7 and efficient memory as well while using corel video studio. i always thought 3gb ram is perfect for vista/7 but now i thought wrong. 3gb is only good for surfing.

you need 4gb+ for gaming and video editing programs. overall you just need 4gb+ for vista/7.

system spec:
amd athlon64 X2 dual core 4400+
western digital green caviar 500gb
8800 GTS 512mb
zumax 500watt psu

Last edited:

funkysnair

VIP Member
well i cant back up what you are saying as i have always used even numbers when it come to ram-although if the software you are using is very intensive then you prob would need 4 gig even in xp

i had
2gig for xp
4gig for vista 64bit
6gig for windows 7 64bit

Fatback

VIP Member
I have to disagree I have 2GB's of RAM and I have Vista. I play games no problem like call of duty 4, Left 4 Dead, Flight Simulator X. My RAM never goes over 80% used when playing games I also have Coral Video and I never have a problem using it. My RAM is 2GB running at 400MHz so I'm sure if my system can handle it then your should be able to.

patrickv

I'ved used Vista and 2gb was enough, maybe because i turned off the fanciness. For XP, 1gb was enough. I really think at times, the applications we use is the main problem. I used Corel X4 and my pc has 2gb ram and even with Corel as the only app open, my pc sometimes lag....

linkin

VIP Member
2gb is enough for vista. your machine must have a crap processor or a bad hard disk or something because 2gb in vista has never failed me in any games, including crysis.

sup2jzgte

I'm running a few systems and one of my laptops has 2gigs of ddr2, with Vista and it runs Corel Video Studio X2 perfectly fine, you cant be using any other programs while using it though or it get really laggy.

It sounds like you might have other programs running in the background.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My laptop has 3GB of RAM and it runs Vista Business x86 just fine. I use Photoshop CS4 on it quite often an have never had any issues.

JlCollins005

i have no problem, i have 2gb ddr21066 and not one hiccup, i run photoshop, my video capturing and editing software and have not one bit of a problem, and im runnin dual boot, vista, and 7 both x86 never had a problem with ne thing

speedyink

VIP Member
its official, 3gb ram is just not enough for vista/windows 7. weather it be 32bit or 64bit.

I was using Corel Video Studio X2 on vista and after 30min it will say efficient memory. I install windows 7 and efficient memory as well while using corel video studio. i always thought 3gb ram is perfect for vista/7 but now i thought wrong. 3gb is only good for surfing.

you need 4gb+ for gaming and video editing programs. overall you just need 4gb+ for vista/7.

...Please..give me back my 3 minutes.

3GB not enough? Are you serious? Why don't you go sit in the corner..

You can run 7 on 1 gb if your just doing surfing, and it runs just fine.

Either Corel sucks ass or you flail.

Motoxrdude

...Please..give me back my 3 minutes.

3GB not enough? Are you serious? Why don't you go sit in the corner..

You can run 7 on 1 gb if your just doing surfing, and it runs just fine.

Either Corel sucks ass or you flail.

First: It took you 3 minutes to read that? LMAO

Second: Why are you guys getting so pissed off? Does it really matter? You all sound like a bunch of little kids, lol

HI,
Have you checked the properties you have set in Corel. I'm not familiar with Corel but Photoshop has settings for memory allocation. If not set properly, these sttings can give problems.

But in Photoshop, if memory allocation is not set correctly, the program simply starts using the hard disk as virtual memory. It slows things down but the program continues to run. With my my 4gB, I never run out of memory. I'm running Vista 32 and before that, XP Pro 32.

Is your Corel fully up to date?

Sparky

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have installed Vista on machines with 1Gig of RAM before and it ran OK, but if you are doing ginormous photo editing you may need a stronger processor and maybe a bit more RAM.

Gooberman

Yeah games work fine with 2GB and 2.0 Ghz dual core I can play Halo, CSS, HL2, BF2, Garry's Mod, Sins of a Solar Empire, Empire Earth 2, Age of Empires 3, Call of Duty 2, and for some reason I have a Harry Potter game lol

tlarkin

VIP Member
I'm running win7 and photoshop cs4 with 1GB pc-3200 ddr on an old laptop and it works fine!

You must not be doing much then, since all Adobe professional apps can chew up RAM pretty quick. Doesn't matter what OS or what hardware you are running, I have seen Adobe Suite software take down dual Xeon work stations. Then again, some of that comes from excessive usage and software bugs.

I wouldn't want to put a production graphic designer on an older laptop with 1 gig of RAM and expect them to do quality work in a timely manner with CS4.

Laquer Head

You must not be doing much then, since all Adobe professional apps can chew up RAM pretty quick. Doesn't matter what OS or what hardware you are running, I have seen Adobe Suite software take down dual Xeon work stations. Then again, some of that comes from excessive usage and software bugs.

I wouldn't want to put a production graphic designer on an older laptop with 1 gig of RAM and expect them to do quality work in a timely manner with CS4.

Yup, you are correct..the 'old laptop' isnt my regular machine and its basic RAW processing.

It runs though, just making the point that its doable and usable with bare minimum.

linkin

VIP Member
Whoever created this thread is very misinformed. I've got vista, I have 3GB now (only seeing 2GB) and it works great. 2GB is the sweet spot, not to low, and not excessive

porlean

i agree with the posts before this, i have vista with 2gb of rams and i never encountered not even a single problem. not even one system crash or any malfunctions. maybe its not your ram itself thats causing this problem i have windows 7 and my memory never goes past 50% even while running multiple programs.

maybe your processor is whats not performing up to speed. i do agree with the gaming comment though i dont think i would want to try playing any next gen games with only 2gb, but i do use video software and image software such as photoshop cs4 with no problems

tlarkin

VIP Member
Whoever created this thread is very misinformed. I've got vista, I have 3GB now (only seeing 2GB) and it works great. 2GB is the sweet spot, not to low, and not excessive

please explain to me more about this so called "sweet spot"