I've been denied

novicegeek

Hello all,

Contrary to my nature, I'll try to make this short. After starting my computer and walking away, I was mortified to find a BSOD. I did not see any stop codes and my cell phone was off, so I didn't scan the QR. So, I figured I'll just look at the dump file. I've never done this before, but I downloaded the WINDBG Previewer, but when I tried to open the dump file, before and after moving it to my documents, it said my access was denied (see below).

So, aside from going insane (not currently an option), is there something I can do to open the dump file?

Thanks.

Attachments

• windbg - access denied.JPG
    windbg - access denied.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 5

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on file permissions, your current user might not be allowed to read the file. Either take ownership of the file
  1. Right-click on a file or folder.
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Click the Security tab.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click "Change" next to the owner name.
  6. Click Advanced.
  7. Click Find Now.
  8. Select your username and click OK.
Or try looking in event viewer -> windows logs -> system and find level "error" and source "bug check"

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried bluescreenview?

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

But usually if you copy and paste the dump file from inside C:\Windows\Minidump to your desktop screen, then it should work no problem. If you still need help then just zip up the dump file and attach it to your next reply and I can debug it for you.

novicegeek

Depends on file permissions, your current user might not be allowed to read the file. Either take ownership of the file

Or try looking in event viewer -> windows logs -> system and find level "error" and source "bug check"
That was almost embarrassingly simple - but effective.
And I poked around in the event viewer, but it helps to know exactly what I'm looking for.
Thank you.

novicegeek

Have you tried bluescreenview?

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

But usually if you copy and paste the dump file from inside C:\Windows\Minidump to your desktop screen, then it should work no problem. If you still need help then just zip up the dump file and attach it to your next reply and I can debug it for you.
I have not tried this, but I think I've heard about it. I'm going to give it a shot.
Thank you.