Just built a desktop gaming computer, having problems

EMO-TOCROSS

Just put together a decent gaming computer for my friend, and we are having issues with something I would describe as "tearing."

Basically he'll be running a game, say world of warcraft for example, and when he hits the Windows button, the game starts to immediately "tear" and lags up the computer for a while until a window opens, then when you try to open another window the game "tears" again and lags up the computer while in the background. Does this sound familiar at all? It's hard to explain/describe.

I was wondering what could be causing this. I've tried putting my Video card into his, and it does the same thing for him, so I don't think its the card. All his drivers are fully updated. Could it be the SATA/Raid harddrive (this was the first time I did SATA/Raid instead of IDE), or ram? processor? It makes no sense to me, i've never seen this before.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

paratwa

Tearing is usually caused by bad drivers. Did you download the latest drivers from the manufactures website? Never count on the drivers on the cd, they are usually outdated.

EMO-TOCROSS

Yup, the video card driver is fully updated from the website. Could it be a bad version of Windows? Motherboard drivers or something? It seems like all the drivers are updated as late as possible, I'm not sure about the motherboard though

ride3k

thta happens every time you leave a game, esspecially if its full screen. the game take sall of the GPU's energy to display and when you switch from 3d animation to the 2d desktop there is lag in the switch. If the problem persits after the switch is made, well then i dont know what to say