just for windows, 15,000rpm 8mb buffer

Xycron

banned
What made me think of it was The_Other_One's psot in the selling section with his 10,000rpm drives, I was looking at a 18GB harddrive that is 15,000rpm and 8mb buffer with 3.5ms seek time. Will i see a inprovment if I install window's on this? I'm thinking starting up and shutting down? and other varios things with windows? I don'\t know if its worth it but it looks like i can pick one up fairly cheap...but its this or case mods...

34erd

I say go for it... Chances are its SCSI though, so you're going to need a SCSI controller. Try and get PCIe controller because I think a might 15,000 RPM drive might brake PCIs 133 Mb/s transfer rate.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Will i see a inprovment if I install window's on this? I'm thinking starting up and shutting down?

You wont see a tremendous amount of improvement but you will see it. It will definetly start up and shut down faster becuase theres nothing but windows on the Hard Drive, but once you start piling files onto it the speed will drop.

Xycron

banned
34erd said:
I say go for it... Chances are its SCSI though, so you're going to need a SCSI controller. Try and get PCIe controller because I think a might 15,000 RPM drive might brake PCIs 133 Mb/s transfer rate.
I have abuilt in one to my mobo ;), plus i dont have a PCI-E slot.

Last edited:

Xycron

banned
P4VTE, it has a crpapy celeron in it, I'm upgrading a a 754socket though, i actully already have it, just need time to isntall it.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Th improvement in speed would be greater felt if you install windows on it, boot from it and nothing else. Get say a 250Gb SATA drive for all your data and stuff, set it up as slave.

Xycron

banned
That's what I plan, Install window's on it, and maybe antivirus......nbut thats in, then everythign else on my 120, the abckups on my 40 :)

randruff

I have no idea how much that SCSI drive costs but I would recommend getting two of them and running RAID 0. With only one, you will notice, what I consider, a significant difference in boot time. In RAID 0, you would be stunned at the boot time. With that said, heed everyone else's advice and try and use that partition for as few programs as possible. I recommend installing Windows and PC games exclusively to that partition. Any music, movies, files, etc....store on another harddrive.

*EDIT* By installing PC games on that SCSI HDD, you will dramatically increase the boot time of the game as well as help your FPS....which is why I recommend doing so.