Just got 1 gig of RAM... QUESTION.

mummer43

I am upgrading to 1 gig of RAM. I got a Corsair DDR, 400 MHz stick from Newegg. My computer currently has 1 512 stick. Do I need to remove that or can I just add the 1 gig to the open slot?

Rambo

mummer43 said:
I am upgrading to 1 gig of RAM. I got a Corsair DDR, 400 MHz stick from Newegg. My computer currently has 1 512 stick. Do I need to remove that or can I just add the 1 gig to the open slot?

It depends...I don't know if they have to be the same brand, but i do know that if both RAM cards are different speeds, the faster one will be reduced down to the slower ones speed...

If it was me, I would probably just take out the 512 stick and shove in the 1024 one :)

mummer43

Rambo said:
It depends...I don't know if they have to be the same brand, but i do know that if both RAM cards are different speeds, the faster one will be reduced down to the slower ones speed...

If it was me, I would probably just take out the 512 stick and shove in the 1024 one :)

That's probably what I'll do. Thanks!

Professor

If you want to keep the ram you have for an upgrade you'll want to get RAM that has the same speed (PC # and same DDR, # and type).

Eg. I have Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200). Now if I want to upgrade I want RAM with DDR 400 and PC 3200, otherwise the slower RAM speed is the speed all of the RAM on your system will go, so there is no use spending more on faster RAM. So I could get, say... OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) and it should work fine.

I would suggest though, that you stay in the same brand as your previous RAM so that you decrease the chance of there being a conflict.

So if I were to upgrade, I would probably get... Corsair XMS 2GB (2x1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200).

If you don't want to take the chance of getting the wrong speed RAM or your current RAM is slower than you want, then I'd say just replace it.

apj101

VIP Member
I would suggest though, that you stay in the same brand as your previous RAM so that you decrease the chance of there being a conflict.
That doesn't happen very often

Do I need to remove that or can I just add the 1 gig to the open slot?
you can just pop in the new stick, but as mentioned this may down clock you gig stick, but only if you current 512mb is running slowers the ddr400. Check with cpu-z and see;
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

mummer43

Ok, The RAM that I got - Corsair Value Select is the same type of RAM that is currently in my computer. DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200.) The only thing that is different is the brand. Can I add the 1 gig to the 512 without a problem? Should I just take the 512 out?

Geoff

VIP Member
depends what the speed of the 512mb is, if its lower then the DDR400, then i would take it out. Or if the new memory you got was a low latency kind of ram, then i would just use that.

mummer43

geoff5093 said:
depends what the speed of the 512mb is, if its lower then the DDR400, then i would take it out. Or if the new memory you got was a low latency kind of ram, then i would just use that.

They are both DDR400.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

I would certainly leave the old one in. You said that they are both DDR400. I am not sure if you have dual channel support. However, I am certain having 1.5Gigs is a better option than just one 1GB stick.

JAN :D

mummer43

jancz3rt said:
I would certainly leave the old one in. You said that they are both DDR400. I am not sure if you have dual channel support. However, I am certain having 1.5Gigs is a better option than just one 1GB stick.

How can I tell if I have dual channel support?

Geoff

VIP Member
first off, dont they have to me the same size in order to have dual-channel? Cause he has a 1gb and a 512mb.

An easy way to tell is to look at your motherboard, if it has 4 sockets, there should be 2 sets of colors , not sure how to tell with only 2 slots. The BIOS might say something.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yeah

I see your point. I don't think I made it clear enough. What I was trying ti imply was that it would be a better choice to put both stick in because they would not run in dual channel anyway (due to the above mentioned reason) and would hopefully help the performance.