key number but no disk

Roy Rogers

many new computers now are being sold with the "KEY" on a cabinet sticker but without a disk to use it with. How does tha work? what good is the key without an OS CD?

Bodaggit23

many new computers now are being sold with the "KEY" on a cabinet sticker but without a disk to use it with. How does tha work? what good is the key without an OS CD?
Which computers have you found that do this?

Every new one I've seen comes with a series of discs.

Kesava

My mum's new laptop was the same. However I think it was different because the laptop had a backup partition that could be used to reinstall the OS without using the disk. So you didn't need the disk, you just ran the recovery tool.

However it's probably different for desktops. I have never seen one that only came with the key and no way to reinstall.

Roy Rogers

re

This is an EL1200 E machine. A friend also has one with the same problem, a key number but no disk. These both came from Walmart. I contacted Gateway, the manufacturer, and was told they would sell me a disk with all the drivers software but not the OS. I contacted them again and was given the brushoff. When I gave them the serial number listed on the cabinet I was told that was not a valid serial number. I have windows XP pro, full version and windows XP home version upgrade, neither work with the key listed on the cabinet.

m3incorp

The OS is imaged on the hard drive, and you're expected to burn Restore Disc from this image, thus giving you the disc.

bosing

Machines now don't come with CD's anymore. If you look at the HD, they have 2 partitions. C: and D:. The Files are there on the D. if you cannot see anything, go to tools/folder options/view and click on the line that says show hidden files and folders.
If you want to run restore, you can either burn the files on a CD or run it from there.

bomberboysk

Machines now don't come with CD's anymore. If you look at the HD, they have 2 partitions. C: and D:. The Files are there on the D. if you cannot see anything, go to tools/folder options/view and click on the line that says show hidden files and folders.
If you want to run restore, you can either burn the files on a CD or run it from there.

Yep, seems like manufactureres are moving away from the dvd restoration and more towards recovery partition. Many have actually started charging if you want a restore cd. I know that emachines awhile back used to include 6 cd-r's for you to make your own restore discs with a progam that came on the machine though....

Bodaggit23

Now that I remember, yes, that is correct.

I had a Compaq S4020WM and it came with no discs, but
a Utility that created the restore discs for you.

Come to think of it though, I never had to enter that CD
key upon reinstalling. lol?

I guess the key just needs to be there, but it's probably
entered into the recovery files already.

Look in:
Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, for a utility
that will create the recovery discs.

I have windows XP pro, full
version and windows XP home version upgrade, neither work
with the key listed on the cabinet.

Btw, why don't you use the keys that came with the discs you have?

Last edited:

bosing

You could always borrow a cd from someone to install using the key thats on the computer...

Borrowing a cd from somebody and then using the key on that cabinet will not work. That Key is married to the originigal OS. You will just get an error.

bomberboysk

Borrowing a cd from somebody and then using the key on that cabinet will not work. That Key is married to the originigal OS. You will just get an error.

Wrong... all windows xp cd's are the same just as all vista dvd's are the same(well, as long as its oem or retail). Proof aint point is i just installed windows xp to an ide drive on this main rig a few weeks ago using the os cd that came on one of my laptops from HP.

Invisible Man

Wrong... all windows xp cd's are the same just as all vista dvd's are the same(well, as long as its oem or retail). Proof aint point is i just installed windows xp to an ide drive on this main rig a few weeks ago using the os cd that came on one of my laptops from HP.
which hp laptop u got cos i own couple of hp laptop and not one come with a OS disc except it require u to do recovery discs burn into a dvd or cd.

Bodaggit23

OEM disc... Its the operating
system cd, its an older laptop(zd8000~3yrs old)...my Presario
2500 also came with an operating system cd+restore discs.
So you're saying, you can do a fresh install of Windows XP
on ANY computer, from an OEM disc from HP, using the OEM
license key from the side of the case.

That's amazing. I thought the OEM disc's were hardware specific
to the machines they shipped with.

Roy Rogers

re

First, I got the downup worm and reformatted the HD. I didn't know about the restore partician. too late now. Gateway culd have informed me of this option but chose to ignore my call.Tried reusing my old win XP pro disk but monitor screen faded to barely visable.Guess MS was objecting to dual usage of an os. I decided to load linux on the computer but none of my video editing software works with linux. At least I can got on the internet. Thanks for the info on the backup partician, i'll know next time.

Bodaggit23

First, I got the downup worm and reformatted the HD. I didn't know about the restore partician. too late now. Gateway culd have informed me of this option but chose to ignore my call.Tried reusing my old win XP pro disk but monitor screen faded to barely visable.Guess MS was objecting to dual usage of an os. I decided to load linux on the computer but none of my video editing software works with linux. At least I can got on the internet. Thanks for the info on the backup partician, i'll know next time.
Did you delete the partition?