Kubuntu not installing

claptonman

I am trying to install kubunto on my Dell Inspiron 2650.Intel Pentium 4 M 1.6ghz,512 mb of RAM, and currently has XP home on it. I burned the image to a DVD just fine. I get the splash screen with the options to start kubuntu, check hard drive, check memory, and boot menu. I choose start kubuntu and it stays on that screen for a while, then changes to a black screen with an underscore flashing. It stays like this for about 20 minutes, and then its just a black screen. Any help?

salvage-this

I have seen this before and I think it was a problem with the graphics hardware. What is your graphics setup? Have you tried any other distros?

claptonman

Nvidia GeForce2 Go. And no, just tried the main 11.04 from the website.

Also, a concern. I'm using a ZyXEL G-170S wireless card. Could I install the necessary drives and utility?

Last edited:

claptonman

How would I do that? I can't even install it. Is it a problem with my video driver not even being able to show the install screen?

DMGrier

VIP Member
I do not really care for the KDE version, I have had to many problems. Plus Ubuntu requires 512 MB to run and typically KDE uses more memory.

On your specs I would try Xubuntu, your machine would fly so much faster.

claptonman

Well, I accidentally popped the CD drive open and put it back in randomly today, and the Kubuntu menu popped up, so I just installed it as a dual boot. It installed, and when I choose to run Kubuntu at start up, it says the prefix is not set. Any help?

Koffer

I do not really care for the KDE version, I have had to many problems. Plus Ubuntu requires 512 MB to run and typically KDE uses more memory.

On your specs I would try Xubuntu, your machine would fly so much faster.

As in GNOME is for grannys. Really. KDE is mostly the only way to go.

Well, I accidentally popped the CD drive open and put it back in randomly today, and the Kubuntu menu popped up, so I just installed it as a dual boot. It installed, and when I choose to run Kubuntu at start up, it says the prefix is not set. Any help?

Is it 64 or 32 bit system version of Kubuntu.