Lagging on xbox live

Jon

Hi everyone i was wondering if you could help - Basically when i play xbox live i get so much lag it is basically impossible, this has only started happening in the past week. I am on virgin media cable broadband up to 10mb (unlimited usage). here are the test results (bearing in mind i am performing this test at 20:10 so it is peak time):

What do you guys make of this? any idea of what you think the problem might be?

thanks in advance for any replies :)

Jon

Aastii

VIP Member
I'm on virgin too and I was on XBL not an hour ago, all fine, so it is neither XBL nor Virgin.

Are all of the devices on the network going slow, or just the xbox? Have you tried resetting the modem and router?

Matthew1990

Used to be on VM...sucked big time, the jitter on your line is making you lag.

Swicthed to fast.co.uk and no lag at all, 24/7

It is very dear, but heyy, you get the proper connection.

Aastii

VIP Member
Used to be on VM...sucked big time, the jitter on your line is making you lag.

Swicthed to fast.co.uk and no lag at all, 24/7

It is very dear, but heyy, you get the proper connection.

I never had any problems at all with Virgin. I always have the 20mb that we pay for and I think in the 6 months or so that we have been with them only had 2 issues, and they were sorted with a single phone call that lasted less than 5 minutes.

But then again, we were with Sky before that and got effed over big time, getting no more than 1mb even though we were paying for 10mb, would always go after 8pm to about 2am, so we had a quarter of the time we were paying for with no internet, customer support was abismal, what with them not having a clue and lieing and trying to screw us out of money and making it a bitch to leave...yet the majority of everyone else that went with Sky have had no problems.

Guess it is all just good and bad experiences :p

Matthew1990

I stay in non cable area so phone line was the only way. The suck at national services thats all I have to say about it.

Aastii

VIP Member
I stay in non cable area so phone line was the only way. The suck at national services thats all I have to say about it.

oh i see why that would cause a problem. Bceause I live in the middle of Manchester and Liverpool, I am fortunate enough to have fibre optic cable connection, so always get the speeds that we pay for...which means downloading 1gb in about 5 minutes :p

but this is starting to go very slightly off topic now it appears :p

Jon

hey thanks for the replies..It's only my xbox which goes slow on the network, the computers are fine. if i do a speed test /ping test during the day the results are much better, however i still get lag on xbox live whenever i play it! it is so annoying. i guess il just have to wait it out and hope it returns to normal sometime soon.

unless anyone knows how to reduce the jitter of the ping?

thanks

Last edited: