Lan in a game.

russb

If i had a computer game and it said i can play over a Lan what does that mean or how does it work.:)

Gooberman

It's your local area network, pretty much you can have computers on your network play games together :3 (Internet connection not required)

russb

So if i have a friend who lives a hundred miles away and has the same game we can play together without the internet is that what you mean.

awildgoose

Basically LAN stands for Local Area Network.
It's your network your computer is on.
If you and another person connected to that network have the same game (that has multiplayer and LAN) instead of connecting to the internet to play a game, you yourself create the server for you two to play on from your computer.
So no internet required.
Thats a short way to put it I guess.

Aastii

VIP Member
Me and you couldn't play together over a LAN russ, if you wanted to play with goosey baby, you couldn't play over a LAN, we would have to play over the internet because the three of us are in different locations.

If me and goose came to your house though and we all connected to your home network, all on your same router, we could play over a LAN, and that would be the same if we went to goose or you came to me.

When people say they are going to a LAN party or they were playing over a LAN or anything similar, they mean that they were around at another person's house or they were at an event playing with others. By an event I mean things such as Dreamhack or insomnia (will explain in a bit).

You can get a program called Hamachi though which simulates a LAN over the net, so me, you and goose could connect to the same Hamachi server, one of us set up a LAN server and we could all connect, even though we aren't physically on the same local network.

For how you go about setting one up, it differs from game to game. If a game has LAN support, generally there will be an option to list LAN servers if you go into the multiplayer area of a game, and on there it will say something along the lines of host a server or similar.

About the events:

Dreamhack - it is the world's largest computer event that isn't just gaming, it is everything to do with computers. It's in Sweden, and like most other events, you pay a fee to enter or extra to actually participate (anybody can). They do all sorts, there is competitive gaming, casual gaming, people programming, people making music, and everything else. You can find out more about it here:

http://www.dreamhack.se/DHS11/event-information/what-is-dreamhack/

insomnia is a gaming event set up by Multiplay (the people who host servers. We've got our Minecraft and TS server with em) which is called i## where ## is the event number, so this current one is i42 as it is the 42nd one they have done.

http://iseries.multiplay.co.uk/

both of these are examples of large LAN events where everyone gets together and can play together, or do things together on their computer without using the internet to do it

awildgoose

How would i go about creating a server,and thanks for the replies.

Well most games that have the LAN feature, you just go Multiplayer -> LAN -> create server (sometimes not that order). Usually nothing special, but that is the format of most games.
Give us which game you want and someone who has it might know if it is different.

If me and goose came to your house though and we all connected to your home network, all on your same router, we could play over a LAN, and that would be the same if we went to goose or you came to me.

You would also have to pay for the plane ticket :p

russb

No game in mind just read some where someone was talking about LAN and i was curious thats all but i would like to thank you all for replying.