Laptop advice

Kitty89

My Toshiba Satellite's motherboard fried about a week ago. The repair place said it would be $199 for the new MoBo and $120 for the service. That's a total of $320 plus tax. Not only that, I'm a bit worried that other components may be damaged. And if that's the case, I would also have to pay for those.

I would just buy a new $499 Dell laptop, but I am broke. I would probably save money by getting the new MoBo. But I need advice.

Spend $320> on new MoBo or Buy new Dell laptop for $499

But remember, I'm broke!!! lol

Thanks guys :)

Well what are the specs of the fried mobo computer? If they are really good, it would be better to repair the mobo rather than spend $500 on a low end laptop.

tlarkin

VIP Member
With a PC laptop it is better to buy new, that extra 100 to 150 dollars gets you new hardware and not to mention a warranty.

If you want a cheap PC laptop I suggest you look at the Acers over the Dells. They are pretty good for the dollar.

Yes, acer has much better price/performance than dell, but the build quality is not as good. If I had $500 however, I would get an acer.

Justin

VIP Member
what's the model of your toshiba satellite? you can check the bottom of your laptop and it'll be stated there. ;)

Kitty89

Well what are the specs of the fried mobo computer? If they are really good, it would be better to repair the mobo rather than spend $500 on a low end laptop.

Well, can you please tell me how to find out the specs of my mobo? Sorry I don't know. But when I find out, I'll let you know. But you see, I bought this Toshiba laptop for $450 anyways. So it's low end already.

what's the model of your toshiba satellite? you can check the bottom of your laptop and it'll be stated there. ;)

The model of the Satellite is a135- 2306. I bought it for $450 lol. Not that expensive. But it was all I had.

So cheap Acers are better than cheap Dells???

tlarkin

VIP Member
Dells aren't made with quality parts, which is how they can price gouge so much. If I were to buy a PC laptop today I wouldn't buy a Dell. I would buy an HP Business class (not their consumers), Asus, or maybe a Toshiba.

My opinion is a bit biased though as I have worked in IT for a long time now and have had experiences with just about every kind of laptop.

DO NOT BUY A GATEWAY! That if for sure.

Geoff

VIP Member
If the damaged laptop only cost $450 who knows how long ago, then I would sell it on eBay "AS-IS", and buy a new low-end laptop.

Jhow

Absolutely buy a new one, even the most budget computers will most likely blow yours away if it's more than a year old for not much more.

Kitty89

Thank you all for your responses. I bought my Toshiba in March 2007. It has an 80GB HDD, 512 mb RAM (which I know now that I should have added more). The USB ports are 1.0 because the other ones broke and since it was still under warranty, they were too cheap to give me 2.0 like it originally came with. Actually, the laptop has given me problems since I got it, but I was not complaining, as it was better than nothing.

It's just, if I bought the new mobo, I would have my laptop now. But if I decide to get a new laptop for $500, I'll have to wait until I get the money. Who knows when that will be.

But I'm still open-minded. I just want to make the best investment.

Thanks again. Keep those opinions coming! ;)

BTW, if I end up selling the busted laptop on ebay, should I reformat the HDD? It has Vista though. And Microsoft Word 2003.

tlarkin

VIP Member
There are programs that will password protect your data, or toss it in one giant encrypted disk image. Google should point you to a bunch of them.