laptop bits in a desktop

stevenford_uk

i have a knackered laptop, i spilt stuff on it, and it will not turn on on, charging light comes on, but press the power button and the light goes off and will not turn on. so i am looking at upgrading my desktop from bits from the laptop. unless someone can give me any tips on repairing the laptop.

i know i can use the processor, i want to use the screen for a monitor for my desktop, is this possible?
also the ram, can i use that in my desktop?

cheers evry1

It really depends on what kind of laptop you have.

If you have a Pentium-M processor, you are going to need a S479 to S478 adapter for you to use the processor in a desktop motherboard.

I don't think you can use the RAM though, since the RAM that I've seen in laptops look different from desktop RAM.

lee101

VIP Member
Hard drive should be no problem, there are plenty of converters on ebay for laptop HDD's to desktop case things , and i wouldn't expect you could use the screen (easily) at least

Syphr

clkProject said:
I don't think you can use the RAM though, since the RAM that I've seen in laptops look different from desktop RAM.

No, you cannot use laptop RAM, in a desktop computer.

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
If it's a P4 chip you can use it, but for a Pentium M, I still wouldn't use the converters (there can still be incompatabilities). That's all that I'd recommend. The HD would be ok also, but I wouldn't expect miracles in performance compared to a bigger desktop HD.

stevenford_uk

i have got the processor in and working fine, the ram is half the size, so cant use that, the screen is far too complex for me to even entertain looking at in detail. can i run my 120gb hdd AND my 20gb laptop hdd?? i want to use the laptop one for downloading files to.

Motoxrdude

My friend did that with his laptop too. He spilt a bowl of soup on it. He just took everything apart(for the most part), and let it dry out. About 2 days later it just started to work.

tommydees

I had the side of my case off on my pc one time and spilt some pop on the motherboard. It turned off and wouldnt turn back on. I took the mobo out and everywhere i could find pop on it i cleaned with alochol and q tips. I let it dry and put it back in and it was worked fine eversense.

LaptopExtreme

VIP Member
Yes, I've seen many occassions where electronics had survived water, even my portable CD player survived the washing machine, but I can say is that if by chance it's still working, the life expectancy has definitely shortened. Liquid residue from water, soup or soda will eventually mess up the board or components on the board. Similar to oils from fingers on a light bulb. An electrician friend called them "sizzle spots"; once the item starts heating up, the residue start heating up too and can cause things to get worse. Either internal rust, oils, or sticky sugars are mixed into your system, it'll eventually go out on you in due time.