Laptop cooling/airflow issue?

Epics

Hi,

Basically, I'm running an HP Pavillion Laptop 1174CA and I throttle ingame because my GPU hits 95C and my CPU/Mobo hit 85C while my HDD is at 40C.

I'm not sure why, I clean it monthly, it has a fan with artic silver and a brand new heatsink. Suggestions, anyone?
I'll post pictures in a moment.

RnEvG.jpg

j9aOQ.jpg

zK3De.jpg

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
I am going to guess that it is overheating because of the low airflow design. Many HP laptops are just piss poor for airflow.

Just an idea, but if you have an air vent and some duct that you can use, or a laptop stand and insulation, try getting it near to the vent (or if the stand, right over it), and use the insulation to maintain a separation between the cold air from the vent (needs to be AC set as low as it can go) and the room air. That will chill the bottom of the laptop, and give you a good idea of the ability of it to move air. If it stays about 70* GPU and 50 or so CPU, then you got bad airflow. If it goes down quite a lot, then your flow is fine and just have a hot computer.

TekMaster

Good advice wolfeking, I have a Pavilion dv6500 that likes to run hot. I like to slightly prop it up toward the rear of the machine so it gets airflow underneath, separating the battery from the surface it sits on. That seems to help a tiny bit