Laptop does not boot to Windows and wish to move to Windows 7

newuser

I have a problem My laptop no longer boots to Windows (the computer keeps restarting just before going to the Windows screen). It wa spreviously powered by Vista basic.

What I wanted to so was reinstall Windows because my laptop has gone extremely slow to a point I don't feel like using it. And since I no longer have the start up disc I basically want to reinstall Windows so it gets back to normal speed (it use to be fast when I first bought it two years ago). I don't need any of the files that was on the laptop.

But since Windows no longer boots up to the desktop area, how do Install a copy of Windows 7? Can I install it without being in the desktop. To do this, which copy of Windows 7 do I buy? And will everything take are of itself after I put he new disc in.

I believe there are different version such product keys and what have you.

By the way, I am thinking of buying this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-W...CMT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311979404&sr=8-1

Can I install this without having to be in Windows first.

jonnyp11

turn it on and while booting, i don't think this is recommended btw, but hold the power so it cuts during boot, then try to boot it and should say last boot was unsuccesfull, would you like to go into safe mode, and do it, and then you'll need a windows 7 upgrade disk, but it keeps all the files, and from what you said it sounds like it may have a destructive virus, so you actually may need to go in and find the option for a destructive windows format, which deletes everything but the os basically, which that alone could solve your issue and make the need to upgrade to 7 pointless.

strollin

What laptop (make & model) do you have? If your laptop is only 2 years old, it's very possible that there is a restore partition on the hard drive that can be accessed by pressing a key combination while it is booting. Restoring via that method will return your laptop back to the way it was when it left the factory. In that way you won't need to purchase and install Win 7.

If you'd prefer to upgrade your laptop to Win 7 then the version you linked to is the one I would recommend. In order to install a new OS, you CANNOT boot to your desktop first. You will need to go into your BIOS to make sure the BOOT ORDER is set to boot first from the DVD drive, then, with the install disk in the DVD drive, you boot the computer from the install disk and proceed with the install.

newuser

What laptop (make & model) do you have? If your laptop is only 2 years old, it's very possible that there is a restore partition on the hard drive that can be accessed by pressing a key combination while it is booting. Restoring via that method will return your laptop back to the way it was when it left the factory. In that way you won't need to purchase and install Win 7.

If you'd prefer to upgrade your laptop to Win 7 then the version you linked to is the one I would recommend. In order to install a new OS, you CANNOT boot to your desktop first. You will need to go into your BIOS to make sure the BOOT ORDER is set to boot first from the DVD drive, then, with the install disk in the DVD drive, you boot the computer from the install disk and proceed with the install.

Hello, Thanks for that. Well, to be honest, I don't mind going back to factory settings because the laptop was fast for a long time before being afflicted by viruses. I bought the laptop a bit over 2 years ago as new but I think they first started manufacturing it sometime before that.

So, which combinations do I click to reset to factory settings. I was fine with the existing OS (which was Vista Basic) so, if possible, I would prefer not buying a new OS. By the way, I no longer have the start up disc that came with the laptop.

The make is Compaq Presario C500.

Last edited:

newuser

Looks like your laptop doesn't have a recovery partition but you may be able to order recovery disks from HP. Here's a link to some info about that: Order Recovery Discs

OK thanks. Just ordered. I thought the replacement disc would be free (other than postage costs) but in fact cost £32.

Anyway, when it comes to reinstalling, will I need the product key that's printed on the sticker at the back of the laptop? A few of the digits I can't make out clearly because bits of several digits have rubbed off. But I guess I can keep guessing until I get it right.

Just one more thing, does the operating system you use make any difference to fan noise? The laptop was fast and smooth but was noisier than I would like, so if the using Windows 7 will help in this regard, I don't mind ordering that instead of using Vista Basic.

Last edited:

strollin

First reaction is to say no, OS doesn't have anything to do with fan noise but I guess it's possible that a less efficient OS could cause the CPU to work harder thereby making the fan run longer and spin faster.

Yes, you will need the license key from the bottom of the laptop, hope you can make those digits out.

techdragon

My manufacture's recovery discs don't require a key. I'm using Toshiba neither, did my mom's old comp and she used HP.

And generally no, the OS has nothing to do with the fans.