Laptop Hot. Laptop Stands?????

choccyqueen83

Hi, I am concerned that my laptop gets too hot. I'm aware that you should try and let air circulate around your laptop.
I do tend to use it on my lap and when it's not in use for a few moments I tend to put 4 a-z's around the corners to lift it off the floor/table...Not ideal.
Is there anything you can buy which would help. maybe a stand? and if so can anyone post any links to give me more of an idea..

my knees are gettin hot as we speak...
EK

Thanks in advance.

cRABu

I just bought a CoolDesk RECOM PRO. GREAT STUFF!!! keeps my laptop realy cool, and the fan is so quiet, that it is imposible to hear it.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Just be careful of the fan placement. Many of them pull air away from the bottom, and laptop fans pull air towards the bottom. If the laptop fan's running and the cooling pad has a fan near the laptop's fan, they'll counteract each other.

PHATSPEED7x

I have two different cooling pads for my laptop. One pulls hot air from the laptop, and the other blows cooler air on it. Both work well, but the one that blows cooler air on it seems to work a little better. I think it pushes more air as well.

concorde

Those laptop cooling pads don't help a lot. As laptops are portable machines, and in the sense, they are engineered for short spurts of use (two hours on a plane, turned off, thirty minutes in the hotel room, off, two hours at a business meeting, off) and not for all-day, all-night use, heat control was never a concern until recently when many people only own a laptop and not a desktop. Unfortunately, you can't put large heat sinks and fans in the small constraints of the laptop, You'd need fans near the source of the heat, and since the plastic case and aluminum RF shield is a barrier between air flow, this won't work well. By all means, use it if you have it but it will not make much of a difference. I laugh when I see those little fans on the processor heatsink - I have a better and bigger fan on my northbridge than on a laptop's processor. The engineers of these disposable commodities need to sit down and really pick their brains about making the laptop cool. As a general rule, don't use your laptop when you are at home or when you have an equally capable desktop PC available so heat won't be a problem.