Laptop keeps restarting

MicRaDoT932

i have a gateway 4540 laptop and it will turn on and start up right ut then after a little bit it will restart and sometimes nothing will show up on the screen when it restarts and i have no idea what would be doin this.

PohTayToez

Possibly overheating. If you can get it to stay on long enough you can check the temps with SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Try propping your laptop up with a book or something so you get airflow beneath it. If it doesn't restart, or takes a lot longer to restart, then temperature is your problem. This should be covered by the manufacturer warranty (if its still valid).

MicRaDoT932

i dont think it is overheating, nothing seems to get hot, And alot of times when i try to start it the screen just dont come on, the computer runs but nothing shows up.

MicRaDoT932

Did you try Starting in Safe Mode.
Does it Start up fine?

yes ive tried that and it works but the real problem i have is just gettin this thing to turn on, i constantly have to turn it on and off untill it will run right because nothing ever comes up on the screen, then after i finally get it turned on, after a little bit of being on it will restart but nothing will come up on the screen again.

wardhanster

I know this sounds wired but once on my desktop i had same problem, so yo resolve it what i did was a complete reinstall of windows xp.... it fixed the problem my guess was that there was a viruse which was the cause of the problem, try this get hold of ur windows (your version disk) and run windows repair wizard, may be some viruse has deleted some dll files .... which is the cause of the instablity...\

MicRaDoT932

ok i just did a fresh re-install of windows xp pro on this and installed all the drivers, im on the laptop right now, then when i restarted it said "couldnt find system file kernel, reinstall windows" or something like that i didnt think to write it down, but then i restarted it and it started up fine. it said this before when i used the original restore disks for this laptop so i dont know what its doing.and it turns on now most of the time since i installed windows and it stopped just randomly shutting off on me. can someone please help me.....

MicRaDoT932

ok well it was running fine until i picked it up then the screen just went black again, it stayed running just couldnt see nothing on the screen, so i shut it off and then started it again and it started up fine. so anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this?

Macky

motherboard problem or processor problem. mostly the laptop freezes randomly or shutdwon at the middle of the OS installation.

Macky

motherboard problem or processor problem. mostly the laptop freezes randomly or shutdwon at the middle of the OS installation.

bomberboysk

Could possibly be something up with your hard drive... Is it under warranty? If it is then just send it in under warranty for repairs.

wardhanster

well what i suggest is running tests on your hard drive... for bad sectors, errors and if all goes well then try the memory diagnosis may be you get what is causing the problem,
dont see this as a expert opinion ... this is just a trial or error method..