Laptop power off suddenly

p89george89p

Someone bring me a Toshiba Satellite A300 Laptop Windows 7 32bit.
(without battery).
Was old,had problems etc.
1rst: Power Jack Cable was mangy and destroyed so i replace it.
2nd: Fan was full of dust and temperature was very high. So i clean it,and i put a new thermal paste.

Now the only problem i can not resolve,is that suddenly it restarts,but is not smooth restart,is like the power is cuted off, and is start again.

I check the RAM (2x2GB) with mem-test and it's working fine. (also replace for test,same result).
I check the hard disk with HDD-checker and it's working fine. (also replace for test,same result).
I test it with single mode cpu (because have 2 cpu) without result.

The strange think is that this happen only when i start or work on windows.
It is not happen when i work on safe mode for hours,or on bios,or on Hiren's boot disk (mini xp).

I was thinking that maybe is a strong virus,and so i format the system partition to reinstall windows,but when the windows cd is on stage 2 (extract files..), is turn off again.
Now i have not even an operation system.!

Please help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sudden power off usually means signs of overheating or an issue with the charging electrical system inside the laptop.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I was also gonna suggest a bad hard drive but you said you tried a different one with same result. So was it shutting down before you started cleaning and replacing things? Still sounds like overheating of some sort. Possibly the added heat of the working hard drive will shut it down. Go into the bios and see if there is an option to see the cpu temp.

cracker2

Sounds like a over heating issue or a driver issue although I never heard of a sudden shutoff because of driver(s).
I got a gateway m6308 that never seems to shutdown properly,it does it fine in safe mode though.I never could get it fixed.It would shutdown & screen would go off but fan & led lights would still be on.After 3 months I gave up lol.

When I got a aspire it had heat issues.Turned out it it needed a bios update.The fan wouldn't stay running when it shouldv'e been.Works like a champ now.
Check for bios updates.And try the drivers on tonshia first,then look around to see if you can find updates for the drivers.Sometimes the manufacturers aren't always up to date on drivers with every model.

But before you do all that I must ask,what psu/ac adapter are you using?I used a offbrand universal before & it didn't have enough juice for my laptop.Causing it to suddenly shutoff when it drawed more power

p89george89p

My first though is that is overheating, but that's why i clean the fan, put new thermal paste etc. but non result.

Ram is OK. Double check

Hard disk is OK.
Double check

Power jack is OK.
I replace it with new one because the original was mangy and damaged.

AC Adapter is OK. 6 month old,original. bacause the old one was mangy and damaged.

DVD-RW is OK
. I had try to intall Windows from the USB, same result.

I have tried to run the cpu with "single mode" : Same result.

( "kenzieufisk": i don't listen any different sound from the fan, but as i say, when it restart, it makes a sound like the power is cut-off. It is not a smoothly restart. )

Now i'm 90% sure that the problem is the motherboard..

I found this answer in a forum, and it's fit to me:

" I believe that I've found the answer. Notsosure's link to the Toshiba thread really helped in figuring out the logic behind this mess.
What's happening is that certain capacitors on the motherboard that regulate the current of the CPU have started to fail. So whenever the CPU changes its clock speed or multiplier, the capacitors do not deliver the required voltage to it and the CPU malfunctions. This causes the system to reboot. Some users have fixed the issue by replacing the faulty capacitors (they are located directly behind the CPU socket on the motherboard).
Intel refers to this throttling technology as Speedstep. Windows Safe Mode seems to not use this CPU function which is why the system doesn't reboot in that mode. Disabling all the processors in Device Manager prevents normal Windows mode from using it as well. As long as the CPU doesn't use Speedstep, no spontaneous reboots will occur."

tristangbowl

Looks like we got the same problem here. I just brought mine back to the store where I bought it and still waiting on what their diagnosis is.