Laptop Screen turns blank

tshrbhat

All on a sudden my HCL Laptop screen went black while working. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del a couple of times without any avail. Even the power switch did not work and the entire screen turned blank. As I had nothing to do except wait for the charge of the battery to be exhausted, I did so and plugged in the power source and rebooted it once the charge was gone. It said "no boot media". So I booted from a Win 7 Home basic CD, it showed "Windows Loading files" and then the Windows Logo turned up, but soon the screen became blank once again. No progress, and the power switch also did not work. It remained frozen at that point with the blank screen with the mouse pointer. Also every time I'm having to wait for the charge to be exhausted as my power switch is not working.

NEED IMMEDIATE HELP.

Last edited:

Pell

u could just remove the battery when it goes blank? Also it could be 1 of many things, Bad Ram, Faulty HDD, Bad video chip, faulty LCD screen. Try plugging it into an external monitor which is certain to work and see if that goes black at any point? good luck! :D

tshrbhat

u could just remove the battery when it goes blank? Also it could be 1 of many things, Bad Ram, Faulty HDD, Bad video chip, faulty LCD screen. Try plugging it into an external monitor which is certain to work and see if that goes black at any point? good luck! :D

I don't think it is because of faulty LCD screen since it worked fine for almost 3 yrs for me...well, can you elaborate as how to plug it into an external monitor? Thanks for the reply.

Darren

Staff member
On you're laptop there should be a blue plug that's about 1/2 inch long. Probably on the back corners.
300px-SVGA_port.jpg

Get a monitor and plug it in using a VGA cable. All monitors come with one.

tshrbhat

Okay but how to switch between the various types of displays - like only LCD, or LCD+CRT etc, as my lappie is halting right after "Starting Windows" Logo:confused:

spirit

Staff member
I think the problem is actually your motherboard going by what you said in your first post about the power switch refusing to work etc. It could be that, or a faulty keyboard or power switch or a bad hard drive.

Just plug the monitor into the VGA port and then boot up the laptop, you should get a picture on both the laptop's LCD and the monitor.