Laptop slowing down

Golfaholic

My laptop has become noticeably slower. It takes a long time to boot up and to have my outlook open. Also, sometimes when I close a screen, it slowly disappears from the top down to the bottom. Is it the hard drive or the motherboard that is failing? I am using Windows XP Pro as my os.
I clean and defrag my laptop frequently. I run antivirus and malaware programs. This is not a virus. Can someone help me?

bratsos

Fisrt see here:

http://www.computerforum.com/205442-playing-any-game-computer-restart-need-help.html#post1715699

If that no help, maybe is another reasons...

Windows systems is not like linux, after some add and remove programs, registry become unstable. Try to find a program to fix your registry. Try registry mechanic

If either no help, try to disable programms running from boot ...

If the laptop have few memory, then remove and antivirus (is risky if you surface internet often, high rate to obtain virusess).

wolfeking

banned
Don't mess with the registry at all. That is never the answer.

First, try running malewarebytes and removing any infections found.
Then, Download and run Ccleaner. it will remove any junk on your system.

If that doesn't help, then download memtest and run it for a couple of hours. It will detect any errors with your RAM. If it finds any, you will need to replace your RAM. It might help to upgrade your RAM anyway.

elobire

Run malwarebytes and Ccleaner. That usually speeds any system up considerably. You can also try running a defrag program (theres one already on windows).

Golfaholic

Thank you all. I was able to run the memtest. I found a program that booted up even before windows and I removed it and everything is much better now.