Laptop Turns off by Itself

lorytsynan

My HP Compaq is turning itself off. I don't know if it is the fan which is creating a noise for months now or the cord that I use to charge it up. Please help.

cracker2

You can test the ac adapter with a multimeter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnTxs0o5CJA
But sounds like its most likely your fan.Couldve been clogged with dust for awhile,stressing the fan long enough to cause it to not go full speed anymore making you laptop overheat.Almost all computers have sensors for the cpu & will turn off instantly without shutting down if the temp gets to high.

Take your laptop apart,clean it & write down the model # of your fan.Put fresh thermal paste on the cpu(amount to use:grain of rice drop in the center) if it doesn't have a thermal pad.You may get by after cleaning but sounds like the fan won't last long.Or you can have a tech do it if you aren't confident doing it yourself.Its not that difficult on most laptops,just be gentle when putting the screws back in.I broke mounting posts before cause i wasen't careful.

You can probably find vids of your laptop model or same laptop in the line of models of disassembly tutorials on youtube.I have a laptop that shows how in the pdf manual on the manufacturers site.

jamesd1981

As stated by other inspect the laptop and see if it needs cleaned out, you don`t need to worry about stripping the whole thing on the underside of the laptop there will be 2 or 3 removable panels held in place by very small screws, just take them off and it will give you access to your cooler, hard drive, memory etc.

Has the laptop been used on spongy surfaces like couches or beds ?