Large installations freeze my computer.

Jerrick

I dabble a lot into recording and using high-end vsts which usually means a large sample library.

When installing some of the larger ones, ranging anywhere from 20gigs -300gigs, my computer just freezes completely. No mouse, keyboard, or anything. Only thing I can do is a reset.

Its done this before, but would only freeze once or twice then the installation will finally go through. Now ive tried for 3days getting the same result.

Any suggestions?

kookooshortman55

Try the same thing again with your task manager up. It could be your Antivirus and the on-access scanning. My computer would freeze every time I unzipped something over 100MB. Found out it was Sophos, doing an on-access scan of everything that I opened on the computer. Disabled that and now everything is running smoothly.

Jerrick

I dont have an anti-virus program running.

All I have is ad-aware, but its not running. Ill keep it open just to see if anything else spikes.

And its not temps either. I know my comp is a bit dusty on the inside now, but temps never go higher than 35 the times ive monitored. And it seems to be, if i start the install and then do nothing at all, I am better than if I start the install then go chat on msn or something basic.

EGS

banned
I would guess it's your RAM. How fast is it?
I have the slowest DDR2 RAM and same happens to me...it freezes like because it's loading...it just takes FOREVER.

I think it's my RAM.

kookooshortman55

Then chances are it's just too big of a file for the amount of RAM that you have. I mean 20GB-300GB is a lot! The most I've ever had to install was 10GB for Warhammer and that still took a while. Try running the install without any background programs running and leave it alone. It might take a while to initialize the install for such a large file.

Jerrick

Its 4gigs (XP only sees about 3.25 of it) of PC2 6400. Actually, heres the set im using. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

But the thing is, ive been able to install these things before, and im constantly installing games or movies that are in the 4-15gig range and those go fine.

Would it have anything to do with temporary file settings?

EDIT: The most annoying part is the install start fine, and it will go for about 20mins-1hr of installing and transferring files then it will stop.

kookooshortman55

Dang . . . DDR2 is so cheap now :( I bought 1GB PC2-5300 for $30 like 4 months ago haha.

Anyways ummmm, unless you did something to the page file, I don't think that would affect it, unless you got rid of it. The page file would make your computer slower, but if you don't have enough RAM then you need it. For Vista you should have like 6GB to safely disable the page file. As far as I can describe it, it's basically an overflow for RAM onto the HDD.

EDIT: Sorry, I pulled an all nighter writing an essay so I totally read that wrong as page file haha. Do you mean temporary files, like shadow copies? If you think it's just a general performance issue you could always try running CCleaner and Defraggler.

Last edited:

Jerrick

Dang . . . DDR2 is so cheap now :( I bought 1GB PC2-5300 for $30 like 4 months ago haha.

Anyways ummmm, unless you did something to the page file, I don't think that would affect it, unless you got rid of it. The page file would make your computer slower, but if you don't have enough RAM then you need it. For Vista you should have like 6GB to safely disable the page file. As far as I can describe it, it's basically an overflow for RAM onto the HDD.

EDIT: Sorry, I pulled an all nighter writing an essay so I totally read that wrong as page file haha. Do you mean temporary files, like shadow copies? If you think it's just a general performance issue you could always try running CCleaner and Defraggler.

I got that kit about 7 months ago too. =p

I was talking about temp files, like on downloads where its stored on the c drive (Unless changed) then finally switched to your destination. But page files were a good thing to mention.

Im gonna have to reinstall perfectdisk and let it do its business while im at work.

This has kept me up all night for two nights now. Last night I was up till 6am, and today its 7am and im not even going to bother with sleep cause work is in two hours.