LCD Selection

Compequip

Hey people I'm looking for some advice. I, with the help from the people here built a nice gaming system. I'm now ready to get a monitor for it. I'm looking towards another 22" and have come up with the samsung 2253BW or the 2233BW there both around the same price, $230 after mir from mwave and I can pick up locally. I looked at acer for price, but didn't like the display view at the stores I went to, they looked a bit distorted. I have currently a viewsonic 22" VX2235WM, which I really like. This is approximately a 2 year old model on my old computer that I'm still going to be using. I like the gloss black finish but would be willing to look at others. I'd like to keep the pricing under $250.00, if I'm going to pay anymore let say around $300.00 I'd look into the 24". I'm not a big gamer, but I built my new system around games. Basic specs. E8500 @ 4.1 ghz, X48 mobo, 700 OCZ power supply, 4870 ATI graphics and I think I put a 750 gb HD and run 6 fans. I currently have CS (for me), Warhammer (daughter), WOW (both daughters), Left 4 Dead (me), and a few other single player games.

Thanks for all your help once again...:D

Edit the 2233 is now 199 after MIR @ newegg
Also what does GTG mean under monitor specs? It'll say 2ms GTG 5ms

Last edited:

Compequip

woah nice rig :O

I think a 22" should be good, I don't know much about monitors though

Thanks, technology keeps advancing and I keep asking for advice from forums like this. Very, very helpful. I need to find a local tech that can help me dial in the system once I get everything, but that will be for another post...

dug987654

Also what does GTG mean under monitor specs? It'll say 2ms GTG 5ms

GTG = grey to grey, which is the time it takes to go from one shade of grey to another. Hence it is quicker than, say, grey to red, and the spec's look better.

As for monitors, I have a Dell Ultrasharp at work and it is awesome, the colour is so much clearer and more vivid than other monitors. Look out for the stand having the black base to it, not completely silver, to show its an Ultrasharp. Unfortunately for me that monitor costs me the same number of £'s as $'s in the UK so I can't get one for at home :-(

See http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm for loads of info on LCD specs and what it all means.

Hope that helps, Doug.

Last edited:

PunterCam

I'd ditch the 22s and get a 24" or bigger. I've got a 24" acer and there's certainly no distortion in the image; it's sharp, fast and cheap. Despite it only being another 2 inches I found it a huge leap up - go check some out.

ScOuT

VIP Member
I have the Samsung 2253BW and love it:)

It is a great monitor for the price. Great color and picture. I have a few friends with 22'' monitors (BenQ, Asus and LG) and my Samsung has the best picture and quality build by a long shot. I would recommend it to anyone.

Compequip

GTG = grey to grey, which is the time it takes to go from one shade of grey to another. Hence it is quicker than, say, grey to red, and the spec's look better.

As for monitors, I have a Dell Ultrasharp at work and it is awesome, the colour is so much clearer and more vivid than other monitors. Look out for the stand having the black base to it, not completely silver, to show its an Ultrasharp. Unfortunately for me that monitor costs me the same number of £'s as $'s in the UK so I can't get one for at home :-(

See http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm for loads of info on LCD specs and what it all means.

Hope that helps, Doug.

Thanks for the help, nice price...$242.64 after tax and environmental fees.

Compequip

I have the Samsung 2253BW and love it:)

It is a great monitor for the price. Great color and picture. I have a few friends with 22'' monitors (BenQ, Asus and LG) and my Samsung has the best picture and quality build by a long shot. I would recommend it to anyone.

I'm favoring between the 22" and 24" samsung but the 24" is free shipping and the 22" is $20.06 for shipping. However the 24" is 40.00 more for $20 more wouldn't you go for the 24"? Also I like the price of the Dell 22" for $242.64 with all taxes, shipping and fees..... Hmmm flip a coin.....