Learning to program

David_UK

Hi

I fancied learning some programming. Can you recommend a good online tutorial, and a free compiler to go with it? I was thinking of C++, but I'd be open to suggestions.

Many thanks

Eveready

The compiler I used when I studied programing was from DJGPP. I was free. It's been about 10 years since I've used it so I don't know if it is still around. Try googling DJGPP and see what happens.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You can always learn web development too, which could build some basic skills of loops and expressions with shell, php, mysql (for databases) and so forth.

Concordedly

Computer programming in general is harder than web programming IMO... However I think the fundamentals can be learned through web coding and moving your way around the different spectrums. I think VB is the way to go for most programs in windows and otherwise learn the web basics..

tlarkin

VIP Member
Computer programming in general is harder than web programming IMO... However I think the fundamentals can be learned through web coding and moving your way around the different spectrums. I think VB is the way to go for most programs in windows and otherwise learn the web basics..

Application development is indeed a lot harder than web development or scripting. However, there are some fundamental skills you can learn from such things like writing loops and expressions in PHP, Shell, ruby, python, perl, and so forth that would carry over into application programming.

I think it is easier to learn those things so that is why I suggested maybe to start there. I am not a developer though so my opinion is based only on my personal experiences, not professional ones.

There are a few software developers that frequent these forums perhaps they can enlighten us.

FairDoos

Jumping a bit far arnt you? Try learning C before moving onto C++ it will help when you come to learn C++ and you will find it easier, Oh and programming isnt for the faint hearted and impatient people it takes time. Good Luck! :good:

David_UK

Jumping a bit far arnt you?
I don't know - am I? Opinion seems to be very varied, although many discussion threads suggest VB to start. This is primarily just for my own amusement and to keep my brain a bit active - it doesn't really matter if I never get far with it.
Thanks for all your opinions!
Oh, and incase anyone reads this also looking for a compiler - Bloodshed have what looks like a pretty friendly editor/compiler.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

Don't bother learning C. Just go with C++ from the start. They are super similar anyways and it's not like C++ is harder to learn the C. For a compiler I use Dev C++. It's free and does what I need. There are tons of free tutorials online, just search google and find one that works for you. You can also try C++ For Dummies. I've skimmed through it and it seems pretty good.

hondro

i actually wanted to do the exact thing you're talking about doing last summer, and I found a website that had great tutorials and taught me what I needed to get have a basic idea of designing a program and the commands to do it. The compiler they recommended I use was codeblocks and that worked great for me.

heres the link and good luck with it =)
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html

Concordedly

C++ for dummies is a great tutorial book. I personally own it and the devCD that it comes with includes some compiler/editors and includes DJGPP. I do stand by what I said though, web development is a great foundation for any programming.