Lenovo ThinkPad E520--Need advice

Davis Goertzen

Yes, I considered the T series and the L series, but the Edge appears to be the only one that has an HDMI port, which is rather important to me.

When you say "the edge is not a very good system at all," what do you mean? Are you saying it's a piece of junk just waiting to crash when I use it, or are you saying that it's a decent machine that simply doesn't quite have the sterling reputation of the L, T, and W series?

DMGrier

VIP Member
What do you think of the Dell Latitude laptops? More specifically, the E5520 and E6520?

Dells business series are very nice, Dell buys those laptops from a premium manufacture for those models. They also come from Dell in a Windows and Ubuntu version so you have options.

Davis Goertzen

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going with the ThinkPad Edge after all. I do realize that it maybe isn't quite as tank-proof as the T and W series, but it seems to be decent, and it's only going to used in office situations anyway (as opposed to out in the wild, getting knocked around and abused).

wallacewillyan

in

Hello all,

I'm shopping for a new laptop, and the ThinkPad E520 is looking pretty good. It'll be used for internet browsing and word processing, and some powerpoint; also some light movie watching and pictures. So, the applications aren't likely to be too intensive, but there could easily be a dozen items on the taskbar at a time. (BTW, if it makes any difference, I'm shopping from Canada).

Anyway I just had some questions:

1. Are the Intel HD 3000 graphics strong enough to handle powerpoint presentations, as well as some youtube and movie watching, smoothly?

2. Is the i3-2310m (the baseline processor) good enough for what I want, or will it struggle/get old in a hurry? For $50 more, I can get an i5-2410m; for $105 more, an i5-2520m; for $155, an i5-2540m; for $295 more, an i7-2620m. (All prices are CAD, taken from the Lenovo site.) I did a little bit of googling, and it looks like either the i3-2310m or the i5-2410m would work, but I want your guys' input.

3. The E520 comes with 4Gb of RAM baseline, but I'd like to expand this to 6Gb or 8Gb. On the Lenovo site, this costs me $80 or $160 respectively. I thought of buying laptop RAM from Newegg and installing it, but I don't know whether Lenovo uses 200-pin RAM or 204-pin RAM. Any input on this one?

Thanks in advance guys.

Davis

veja in www.mundodoslinks.com.br