Lets see who is an expert here

wolfeking

banned
the 780i is ATX also. You are probably not going to fine a mATX performance board for that CPU. Your better off with either getting a new case to open the possibility of ATX or sell teh CPU and get a Q6600 or 2500 or the like and a mATX board.

spirit

Staff member
the 780i is ATX also. You are probably not going to fine a mATX performance board for that CPU. Your better off with either getting a new case to open the possibility of ATX or sell teh CPU and get a Q6600 or 2500 or the like and a mATX board.

^ This. Got my Q8300 running on an mATX board (may even be ITX, not sure, but it's very small - ASUS P5KPL-AM IN/GB), runs fine. RAM is a bit limited on that board though, only supports up to 4GB. :(

wolfeking

banned
That ASrock board does not support QX processors. Only the X6800 dual core.

And again, you keep pulling all these boards. Why the heck are you asking us to find you a board if you know all the answers?

You are asking for an impossible task from us. You want a board with ancient connectors (I insist on them too, ask jason), and to match a QX9770. To go with that processor and have a stable system you need a good board. 780i/790i or X48. You are simply not going to get the most out of that ungodly gaudy processor unless you back it with equally good parts.

wolfeking

banned
okay, fair enough. It claims to support the processor. I can not support or deny the failure issues. What I can comment on is not cheaping out on your board. Get the best one you can now so you don't end up with endless issues. This is experience talking.

You may have to make a choice with the memory and CPU though. It may come down to support of one or the other. Most of the 1600MT FSB supporting chipsets are only DDR2, and it seems that there is very limited mATX support out there for all processor features. Just upgrade to a ATX case so you can get a real board. It should not cost more than $30 if you get a standard case.

wolfeking

banned
If you are standing on the mATX form factor (which should have been assassinated when itx was invented) then I honest suggestion is the Maximus II GENE suggested earlier. It will need DDR2 memory, which is fine. You will have to use a USB floppy drive though. (decision I have fought with too.)

wolfeking

banned
The FSB is the maximum speed the memory can have. not the only speed it can have. When these processors came out DDR3 was a research topic, like DDR4 is now. To use 1600MT RAM you will need DDR3, or severely overclocked DDR2 (thinking 1066 with some mad FSB adjustments). Either way, DDR2 will not hold you back unless you are using a program that is heavily dependent on memory bandwidth.

Basically I am assuming you are asking if there is DDR2 that will work with 1600MT FSB processors. That is a yes. The question you asked, no that does not exist. Memory does not have a front side bus.

wolfeking

banned
Do not use the Easy Tune. Use the BIOS and set the FSB to 1600 and you should be fine. Also check for a BIOS update that may fix the issues you have.

And seeing the see it is basically saying that the max FSB is 1333, so you are screwed there.

spirit

Staff member
Well there are some. See :

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3225#ov

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=G41M-S3

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000485

And there are quite a few more if I didn't insist on having a floppy port too.

@ Spirit : Thanks for that one, I'll check it out. I use WinXP 32 version, so the 4 Gig limit on RAM is no problem to me. -- Checked it out and it is a DDR2 board. No help there.
Don't ever buy Foxconn motherboards, you'll regret it. I know I certainly did when I had one.

Yeah sadly the one I have is only DDR2.

Don't use software to overclock, always use the BIOS if you can. :)