Level 1 Cache Technology History Question

2048Megabytes

The Intel 80486 (i486) processor introduced by Intel in 1989 was the first processor to have internal cache (Level 1 cache) on the CPU chip.

When did Level 1 Cache start becoming a common feature on processors?

linkin

VIP Member
I'm note sure, but i believe that the cache was originally soldered to the motherboard? i think that was level 2 cache though.

NVX_185

While we are on the topic of 'cache'. Could someone please tell me what this thing really is. I hear this term very often but am oblivious to the true meaning. So, what is it? How good does a cache have to be in order to be 'good'? How does the i5-750 rank up? :D:D

linkin

VIP Member
^ what he said.

Generally speaking, the more cache a chip/hdd/whatever has, the faster it will be. but also more expensive.

Jiffyman

While we are on the topic of 'cache'. Could someone please tell me what this thing really is. I hear this term very often but am oblivious to the true meaning. So, what is it? How good does a cache have to be in order to be 'good'? How does the i5-750 rank up? :D:D

The L1/L2 caches are like ram for instructions that are being sent to and from processor. This type of memory is much faster than ram and it's a lot more expensive too.

^ what he said.

Generally speaking, the more cache a chip/hdd/whatever has, the faster it will be. but also more expensive.

lol. I almost deleted it for a moment cause I thought I didn't know what I was talking about.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Cache is a small amount of memory on the CPU core and/or die.

Look at it like this. If a processor was a librarian/CPU and she keeps the most checked out books under the counter, you go into the library and ask for a book. She whips the book out/CPU cache and hands it to you. Much faster then walking around the library/System memory looking for it.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Cache was originally built into the motherboard. It wasn't called L1 or L2 because there was only one level. The terms L# came around when they started putting small amounts of cache memory on die and called it L1 to differentiate it from the L2 cache on the motherboard. Eventually both L1 and L2 cache were built on die and ran at full speed.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
L1 is still faster than L2 though. Bigger caches are slower than smaller ones but bigger caches are also more likely to result in a cache hit than a miss (misses mean you have to go up a level to find the data which is more expensive).

2048Megabytes

Back to the original question again. When did Level 1 Cache start becoming a common feature on all processors? Was it around the year 1993?