Limited or No Connectivity on Wireless Network

rars222

I've been trying to help a friend set up a home wireless network. I've reset the router 3-4x and went thru a new setup each time. I set the network to a mixed use (b,g..) and WEP 128 bit encryption with a network key.

All is fine and dandy until I try to connect. It asks for the network key - which I paste in and then it "acquires" the address of the router. It takes forever and when it connects - it says there is limited or no connectivity?

Any suggestions?

She is running windows XP home SP2
She is using a linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router
Belkin Pre-N adapter card
Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop

BishBosh

I've not used a Linksys, only Netgear and Buffalo.
Still, I've seen the same warning text.

1) check connection type (peer to peer, or access point). Do access point.
2) get connected without WEP ... to prove all is well with the wireless link
i.e. the channel number is known both ends. Try channels 4, 8, or 11 to see which works best.
3) generate the WEP key in the router using exactly 13 ascii characters

Depending on the client (laptop) s/w you will either be able to enter the same 13 ascii characters, or have to use the generated Hex codes (a right pain).

This has always worked for me, but there might be a more subtle setting that's causing the problem.

randruff

Try repairing the connection. When you do this, you will find out where exactly the problem in the connection is. It could be obtaining an ip from the router or something else. Try turning off the WEP and connecting, will that work? WEP is not really needed as there are others ways of making your network secure without WEP. If you can connect with WEP off, try the following:
-Change password to access router.
-Change SSID
-Disable broadcast of SSID
-Enable MAC address filtering

With those on, you really do not need WEP.