Live Messenger Client

spearball

banned
Does anyone know why msn live messenger randomly decides to stop receiving and send messages sometimes. I would be chatting with someone, and it seems as if messenger disconnects me from the conversation. How did i find that out. Because one day i was using remote desktop to a friends pc and he was in the same 3 way conversation i was in, and i noticed after 5 mins, without me closing the windows myself, messenger disconnected me and i saw that i automatically left the chat on my friends side.

At first i though it was a firewall problem in which somehow the messenger service couldn't get to me, but even after i disabled software and dmzed the pc (tested with all ports exposed) it still would not be reliable enough that i can trust it to receive all messages and if my ims were even sent out... Thats when another though came to mind and i though it was my system. At the time i was running vista, so i decided to up to windows 7. Reinstalled. Great. Install live messenger, EXACT same issues. No firewall, no antivirus! Clean system! Is there a reason why this is happening??

I checked the connection tab in messenger, and it says im directly connected to the messenger service, through a non-upnp port restricted nat.

Thanks

Last edited:

lawson_jl

It's losing it's connection to the live messenger service it happens and your streaming videos are buffered so it's likely that when your connection drops out for a sec or two your video doesn't skip a beat. That's why videos are buffered and not streamed in real time, were as there is no such buffering with messenger clients.

spearball

banned
Thanks I will investigate this and let you know. I guess a split second on the router/modem side doesn't necessarily make a difference for streaming videos, browsing the web and my operating system but it must somehow affect the messenger service. But im trying to figure out how this can be happening. Maybe its my modem ill get back to you.

Last edited: