Local Source vs. Network Share?

spiffy577

Hey all,

I have a pretty strange question. Is there any difference in speed between a local physical location on a drive (aka c:\stuff\) versus a shared network source that points to that physical location (aka shared the directory c:\stuff) when they are both on the same system? I have a network of computers and I have a shared directory on one system. Is there any difference in access speed on that local machine (the one that has the shared directory) by accessing the physical location or accessing the network share (again, both of which are on the same computer)? I am not sure if I am explaining myself correctly. I do not know if when I access the network share, the computer has to go out to the router then back to the system.

Did that make sense?

Thanks!

Josh

Nightrain

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it did, most networks have 1-2ms to the router anyway. You shouldn't even notice the latency difference.

spiffy577

More info... May change results.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am trying to access very large movie files for a htpc. I am trying to read specific info from the movie so does that make a difference? If they are 1000 mb files, does it have to create a local copy when using a network share or does it bypass the router since it is stored locally? Or should I stop smoking the good stuff... lol.

Thanks again!