Logitech Z-5300e...

DarkMortar

Hey all!

I have gotten a total of $300 USD from my dad and relatives combined.

And I was thinking of using part of it on this:
Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker ($135 USD) (560watt max)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836121121

I cant buy the Logitech Z-5500, well because for 1) I would have no money left, and 2) I actually have $250 USD cash, because the other $50 is a circut city gift card and I wont buy speakers from them because their price is FULL, and I dont want to carry 70lbs in the store, hehe and 3) i want to save the left overs for a new video card.

Neways, does anyone here own the Z-5300e's, and how good are they compared to, lets say my X-530, and how much worse are they compared to a Z-5500?

Ok, I LOVE bass, i want super bass and i want good respone for the money. Like when there is wind, or anything that triggers some sort of bass i want to hear it hehe. I'm sure the 5300e will do fine with bass, yet im not so sure about 'response.' Like when you play music or game from a z5300e, does it sound strong, clear, and crisp (for a person comming from x-530?). Also is it constant bass response, that smooth feeling and deepness? Ok, I myself don't need them to sound instrumental, and i do like low mids, deep bass, and crisp highs for contrasting and deep sound, and not 'muddy' mids.

So any comments on those speakers, or alternative (i NEED bass), I like muy X-530s, they are tweaked quite well for me(they pack quite a punch for those things), yet, i want more power and more bass response and deeper ones muwahha, and that 'true rumble' during movies heheh. My room is quite small, yet i will try to place them as best i can (sub placement is CRITICAL), so anyone had experiment with this compared to the other logitech speakers?

Oh, I use a Sound Blasyer X-Fi XtremeMusic btw.

ty for help!

Last edited:

sirmixalot42691

i bought my z-5300e's about a month or two ago and I love them. The sub packs a lot of power, as you've probably read in the reviews. I had to turn the bass way down to keep from getting a head ache. Btw, if you want to save money for a new video card, you can buy a refurbished z-5300e on eBay for about $75 including shipping (mine was practically in brand new condition)

DarkMortar

hey, sirmixalot42691, i noticed you have a 7600gs, that is actually the card that i am getting with my 5300e, is it pretty decent, comming from a radeon 9800pro?

and i cant wait till i get my 5300e :)

DarkMortar

alright cool, i know the 7600gs cant go really high in oblivion, but im sure it will surface along with my new speakers, now i want to start over from level 1 and see what i missed in both sections :)

Bobo

banned
It can't go really high, at least not like FEAR or something where hundreds of fps are attainable.

but let's stay on the topic of speakers here.

sirmixalot42691

hey, sirmixalot42691, i noticed you have a 7600gs, that is actually the card that i am getting with my 5300e, is it pretty decent, comming from a radeon 9800pro?

and i cant wait till i get my 5300e :)

well I previously had a 9600 Pro (close enough I guess) and when playing CS:S, I could only run it at Medium-High w/ somewhere around 20-30 fps, but when I got my 7600 GS, I could play it on High with about 40 fps. you could say it was pretty decent

sorry for getting off topic

DarkMortar

Received the speakers in the mail today. I carried them upstairs (fairly heavy) and set them down. I opened the box, lifted off all the stuff, and when I saw the sub, I was like HOLY COW. Damn, I was expecting bigger, but it’s just HUGE in real life compared to the pictures lol. I was setting them all pieces down, and when I saw the X-530 sub I was like, this new thing looks like it’s 3 times as big. Just the whole thing made the other speakers feel so small. Ok, so then I disconnected all the X-530 stuff, and started to hook up these Z-5300e’s. The sub is just crazy, lol, I mean its just big (I’m not used to this), and the place it took from the X-530, it just filled that whole spot, and every time I lean over now, I see this big box lol. Ok so then all the new speakers were hooked up, and decided to set my front two speakers farther apart now since I have a wired remote for volume. Remote feels pretty cheap and plastic, yet the speakers and especially the subwoofer felt they were made with decent quality. I did think that the satellites used metal on their stands, but it’s actually plastic, but the good kind.

Ok actually to how they sounded. Well I decided to first fire up far cry, and I was playing the Research level, and holy cow, the voice just sounds like it was better quality! I then went on, threw a grenade BOOM. But nope that was not enough! I quickly put the sub at max, and then it went BOOOOOM, there we go, that’s more like it. Lol, I will say those people on those reviews are wimps; I mean common the sub sounds great at max, it’s the only way. Ok, then there little drum line in their combat music, went DOOOHHWWMMM, lol I never heard it like that before, that was sweet. Also I decreased the windows bass level to 50% instead of 70%, because 70% just hurts, and its just dumb now with these superior speakers to the X-530 (no need to over-clock woofer with windows bass). Ok, actually one of the greatest improvements I think it’s the satellites, they sounds a lot better than the X-530. The satellites are louder, sharper, and crisper. Ok, then I fired up Doom 3 (an EAX 4.0 game). And OMG, the difference was HUGE. I mean it really felt like a theater. And the steam was so detailed and it was insane. And damn these are so much louder, and bass just goes down low WOOHHMMPP. And you know what? After playing Doom 3 for only 10 minutes, my ears begun to feel num and hurt. The dB just hurts so bad after a while, lol, I was played Doom 3 for over an hour, and my ears feel nummed, lol by all the damn bass and lows. I mean it now HURTS my ears to do anything lol, I mean I like how its sounds and stuff but I begin to worry about my hearing, I mean I really didn’t play that loud, it’s just so strong it hurts lol. I then played Oblivion, and the sword slashing was so crisp and loud, and I heard stuff I never heard before. Also these speakers, I haven’t even played BF2 yet, and that has EAX 5.0! And I haven’t even played a DVD yet, like Star Wars!! I wonder what the will sound like!? People in the reviews are acting like at max volume there’s “no” distortion, well I don’t think so, because if it’s too high, the satellites will sounds too much louder than the sub and it will become annoying. I will still say that, the X-530 sub put out a lot of bass for the size of that sub however. The subs sound weaker at certain angles and distances. Luckily, this sub sounds strongest where I sit at the computer. I do not have many places to put the sub. Before the X-530 sub sounded best if someone was next to my chair standing. But now the Z-5300e sub its weakest for them now, which means worse for “showing off,” but it’s better for me this time. Anyway these speakers are an incredible value, and when the huge ship in the intro scene for KOTOR 1 comes up and is attacked the sound is like ROOOWAR ZOOOM OOOOM. It crazy!

Pros:
+ Attractive (and woofer will make people go “cool set-up”) & THX logo on everything, ya, ya THX doesn’t seem to mean anything but it looks awesome.
+ STRONG bass.
+ Good satellites.
+ Wired remote is handy (includes critical center and rear volumes).
+ Center and rears are now finally loud enough.
+ Woofer doesn’t shake or go “poofy” like the x-530s on xtreme bass, so it’s a lot more controlled and better.
+ LOUD (when pushed).

Cons:
+ Bass is not ‘tight’ as in its boomy, not quite always the “response” I wanted.
+ Remote feels cheap.
+ Short wires.
+ Well ok satellites still are not “great” but a lot better than x-530s.

Cool.