Long-Distance WiFi

mustardgas

Hello everyone.

Can anyone offer an ingenious way of connecting to a network from a great distance? I was thinking of setting up routers at various "checkpoints" until the final router was within range of a strong network connection. It would be like a chain of router-router connectivity leading right to my computer. Absurd? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

-mgas.

chrisalv14

banned
Hello everyone.

Can anyone offer an ingenious way of connecting to a network from a great distance? I was thinking of setting up routers at various "checkpoints" until the final router was within range of a strong network connection. It would be like a chain of router-router connectivity leading right to my computer. Absurd? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

-mgas.

you can buy hard ware and adapters which could reach access points and wifi hot spots within 200+ meters in range.

dznutz

i see ads with this telescope like looking wifi grabber that's able to grab wifi signals miles off. not sure if it's legit

tareqe

Is a good idea, but I think it is better to use the AP wirless I think he is the best in such situations and work with those who do not want filtering to be on the network

Encryptor

It's easy to get long distance with wifi (2.4GHz), but can become very expensive. However I personally have a Omni-Directional Antenna on the roof and a Buffalo high powered wireless router (251mw with DD-WRT firmware), without the extra 10watt Amplifier|pre-amp (26db) I have reached 7 to 10 miles, then the other party is using a beam antenna of 18 elements (16db).

With the amplifier added I've been connected to (under test - secure WPA2 connection) from 24 miles away. Remember your location|surrounding buildings will determine|reduce the range of wifi.

The cheapest way is site to site 2 x beams and 2 x wifi (2.4GHz) wireless cards in each computer or one end as a Router or Access Point.

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...

shells-n-scales

Sorry to drag up an old post, but I have a question that I cant seem to find an answer to.

We live in a country club that provides free wifi for its local residents. Unfortunately for us, our home is on the outskirt of the wireless range. I tend to get between "poor" thru occasional "good" on a daily basis. I hardly if ever get "very good" or "excellent" signal strenght. Is there anything that I can buy to amplify the signal strenght ? I dont understand all the "technical" talk that some ads state, and all the wifi amps I see dont seem to have some sort of usb connector. I currently use a NETGEAR WG111v2 wireless usb.

What can I use to pick up the signal better?

Thanks